Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lead on a rifle wich I think may be a dragoon. But im not up to speed on my Soviet Mosins. It has the triangle with the arrow in it and is dated 1938r it has the hexagonal reciever and verry think barrel bands that I have never seen on a Mosin Nagant. It has a ramped rear sight and a hooded post front sight. Looks like numbers match. It has sling slots. What are the dragoon rifles worth, are they hard to come by?

Thanks for any information.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,838 Posts
Sounds like a M91/30 to me. 1938 is (I think) too late for a dragoon. I also think Izhevsk stopped making the Hex receiver in 1937. The globe and post front sight was started with the M91/30. Dragoons had (Again, I think) an open blade front sight.

Check out Teds' site at www.7.62x54r.net and his interactive ID pages.

Teds' info is more accurate than mine. 1935 was last official year for Izhevsk hex receivers.

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
Dragoon production ended around 1932 so a rifle dated 1938 would be an M91/30. Hex receiver production ended in 1935 at Izhevsk but sometimes they reused older ones. Either that's the case here or it isn't dated 1938. Even so, from the description of the sights it is now an M91/30 regardless of what it was before.

Dragoons start around $300 these days and go up depending on condition and variations. They are pretty tough to find.

Typical M91/30s sell for $90 or so in refurbed condition. One built on an older receiver (which a 1938 hex would be) can bring a small premium from the right person. I have several and most of them I paid the going M91/30 price for them. I might pay $125 for another one if the date appealed to me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If it's dated 1938, it isn't a Dragoon but a M91/30. The transition took place in 1930, of course and most Dragoons were refurbished with M91/30 parts to bring them up to specs. The M91/30s are fairly common, but if the price is right (what're they going for nowadays, guys?) it's worth having.

Research it here:
http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Soviet-M9130.asp

and here:
http://7.62x54r.net/

You guys are fast! There weren't any replies when I started typing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts