Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Are you perhaps confusing counterboring, with "cutting down"?

Counter boring will make your rifle more accurate, if the crown and or lands are worn at the muzzle.

Shortening a barrel for accuracy is almost an oxymoron. Longer barrels are inherently more accurate in M/Ns. That may be why you are getting static from some folks about cutting down the barrel for accuracy. It really does't make sense.

No short M/N has ever come near the accuracy of the M39s or 91/30s at long range from our experience.

I do have some very accurate M44s and 91/59s up to 400 yds. but after that its "iffy".

I'm sure someone will chime in and tell us how superbly accurtate their short carbine is at long range, but I would be skeptical, but there are exceptions to the rule. Also, accuracy has to be defined.

· Registered
3,174 Posts
Counterboring is the way the Russian arsenal fixed the problem.

"Correct" way is a real can of worms. It may be better to say, IMO the "best" way to fix accuracy problems from worn lands near the muzzle is to cut off part of the barrel.

Actually IMO either is not an option, if a accurate rifle is needed. I would just buy one with a new or near new barrel. They are only $69 folks.

However, if someone has one that happens to have a worn crown or bad lands at the muzzle and wants to keep the particular rifle. It is an easy fix to crown or counterbore if needed.

In most cases, it is just not cost productive to put a lot of work into rifles that are less than $100.

I have never seen a M/N with a barrel cut short by an inch or two.

One thing to consider if anyone is thinking about cutting a few inches off a barrel.

The front sights will have to be re installed. BIG HASSLE. As well ast the wood may not fit right.

To each his own, but understand what you are getting into.

Counterboring and sometimes just recrowning will fix the accuracy issues.

Both can be done in a heartbeat as compared to cutting off some of the barrel.

I still think the "cutting down the barrel for accuracy" bit is missunderstood by the original poster.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.