Gunboards Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,271 Posts
to BigShot - i am not shure where a sweet spot on a mosin barrel would be. the above posts give excellent info on free floating, counter boring, bedding, and i have read of other forum members achieving 1-2 moa accuracy with mosin carbines and long rifles. i have a T53 bring back (complete with worm holed stock) which i never shoot. but i also have a slightly modified M44 which i use as a hunting rifle and as such, is modified to suit my requirements. it has a 16.5", free floated barrel, the action has been massaged to be smooth and quick, clean 4# trigger pull, magazine capacity increased to hold 5 rounds and allows bolt to be closed on an empty chamber (the safest way to carry in the field), modified front site post (adjustable for height and windage), modified rear sight full adjustable for height and windage, weighs about 8# field ready with full mag and sling. this rifle is my constant hunting companion in the thick maine woods where i seldom get a shot greater than 125yds, most in the 50-75yd range. it is short, reliable and fast handling. and with 180gr soft point ammo, more than enough power for my needs. with my over 60 eyes it shoots 1-2moa off a rest. i have other milsurps that are and will remain un-altered, but this mosin is also a hunting tool and it performs very well for me. over the winter i plan on pillar bedding the action. some of the recommendations of other forum members offer less radical methodes to improve mosin accuracy without taking away any of the historical essence of these fine rifles. best, john

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.