Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got to view an older gentleman's collection. He has a Mosin M91 with Lange rear sight. It was in a group he bought from Century in the late 1980's. Not only is it still in cosmo, it is still in the box. I believe the barrel marks were for Sestroryetsk Ordnance Factory about 1910 dated. He thinks it was in a "You Fix-em " order. It is missing the upper hand guard and the barrel bands. He would not allow photos and all I had was a flip phone anyway. Surely this cant be the only one. Any one else see one?

·
Silver Bullet member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes pictures would have been nice but he would not let me take photos. And I was in a dark basement with flash light between my teeth..

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Then it's one of life's little mysteries, I guess.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Yea can't say anything certain without pics. But the 18th century called while you were out too, OP. They want their flip phone artifact back! Not sure what a long sight means. The rear sights on Mosins were pretty long anyways. If it doesn't look like any of the three styles of original sights the Russians put on them, then someone else did it. Finnish model? 28/30 or M39 that some how kept an original Russian barrel? Those rear sights were large and flat for those models.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yea can't say anything certain without pics. But the 18th century called while you were out too, OP. They want their flip phone artifact back! Not sure what a long sight means. The rear sights on Mosins were pretty long anyways. If it doesn't look like any of the three styles of original sights the Russians put on them, then someone else did it. Finnish model? 28/30 or M39 that some how kept an original Russian barrel? Those rear sights were large and flat for those models.
Lange, not long.

The langevizer (or something, I don't speak german) was a distinct rifle sight.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Oh, yea my German isn't so great either. But "lange" means long, so that's one of the few words I ever remembered. And the Mosin sights are kind of long. So that's why I was thinking of the translation of long. But if it were a "Lange Vizier" sight, we'd know what it was on then!

After a quick search about it, now it makes sense. Looks like it was the "roller coaster" sight that was used on G98s. And some other S. American and other Mausers as seen in this old post from 2013. Post 11 has some pics:

·
Silver Bullet member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am trying to buy, or at least get a photo. But it looks like I will have to talk to the widow at some future date.

If i buy an i-phone it will leave me less money for guns or ammo. It is a dilemma.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,692 Posts
I am trying to buy, or at least get a photo. But it looks like I will have to talk to the widow at some future date.

If i buy an i-phone it will leave me less money for guns or ammo. It is a dilemma.
An I-phone is like an anchor around your neck. A gun is uplifting, will feed you in a zombie apocalypse and be forever enjoyable.

I don't see the problem, here.

·
Registered
3,704 Posts
Im with Martin, or Im just too old........Todays rebel has no cell phone........LOL!!

I had one, once, that my 'boss' sent me as I went to a large city and they demanded to be in touch.
"OK" , but you gotta phone?....so they sent me a "burner" which I forgot inthe hotel room for most of the trip and at the airport I called my wife and let her know I was enrout and threw the phone inteh trash. The next day the boss calls me at home and tells me about a wonderfull conversation he had with an airport trashman.......LOL!!!

ALWAYS, buy the gun.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I could be wrong, but isn't Lange in this regards a person or company name.

While also meaning long, this is named for the inventor, rather than the sights description

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I could be wrong, but isn't Lange in this regards a person or company name.
This whole discussion is silly, bordering on inane. With no photos or any other proof of production "He would not allow photos"...c'mon.
Here's a Lange for you--skiers will understand...
345.jpg

Reactions: dave_r
1 - 17 of 17 Posts