Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chance to buy a barreled action for a Finnish M91. Curious if it's worth it to get that and try to buy the stock and metal parts for it or is it rare to have these spares floating around now? I'm in Canada so it's probably even harder to source these.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
M91 stocks, handguards and stock hardware have gotten quite scarce and expensive in the last few years. Unless you get lucky you'll probably end up spending more than the completed rifle is worth for all the missing parts..

·
Registered
430 Posts
Finding a complete stock for an M91 is a little like playing the lottery. It requires persistence, patience and a bit of currency. You can find them to be certain but they are few and far between. Equally difficult to find will be a cleaning rod if the stock doesn't already have one. The other items aren't as difficult to find or as pricey. A Finnish stock will be more difficult and more expensive. If you are extremely lucky and the planets align you may find one for about $200.00. More likely you will be looking at $300.00 or more. About a year and a half ago I lucked into a decommissioned M91 for $225 shipped. Basically everything except the receiver and cleaning rod. I have also seen them on occasion on ebay. (you didn't mention the price of the item, I would guess a Finnish M91 complete and original would be in the $300 to $400 range and possibly higher (USA, don't know about in Canada)

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
It's rare to find parts. When they are listed, the prices are absurd (for the stocks). I happened to get lucky on an auction and bought a stock, hand guard, bands for around $160 shipped, but I lucked out.

·
Silver Bullet Member
222 Posts
I bought a 91 capture in a Finn stock, and the wood was cracked badly both sides. Paid $100 for the rifle. Then found out the handguard (it was missing) would cost $150 + shipping, the front barrel band (it was also missing) cost $50 + shipping, and the missing cleaning rod could be replaced for $45 + shipping. So now, after I made a layman's repair on the cracks, I have nearly $400 in a 91 with a rough looking stock.
If that's the path you choose, plan on a sizeable investment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys. It looks like it's probably less of a headache to get a complete rifle from the get go.

FYI, the Finnish M91s are worth about $750 USD here in Canada these days and the M39 has an even higher premium at $1200 USD (it's often sold immediately once posted).

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You can always stock up that M1891 in a cheap 91/30 stock for shooting purposes until you find a proper one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.