Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone has bent the bolt on a mosin nagant and fitted a new scope on it
my son is 14 and im trying to find somthing cheap to shot that he will have fun and shot till his finger gets blisters​

·
Copper Bullet member
4,850 Posts
Providing you have a good shooter to start with as a foundation for your project, you can build a tack driving long range shooter in 7.62x54R.
Just remember that there is a lot more to it than sticking a cheap hunk of glassware, on a cheap mount with cheap rings, on a marginal bore!
GLASS DOES NOT A SHOOTER MAKE!

BEFORE graduating to a precision distance shooter, it is imperative to thoroughly learn the rifle and ammo with IRON SIGHTS!
Only once you gain a complete knowledge of the ballistics, prove the bore, and master basic rifle skills is it time to wring a little more performance out of it. Scopes are for small objects, at long distance further than can be seen with the naked eye and iron sights.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=96398
Explains some of the intricacies involved in a "custom build"
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=81237
Scopes
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=922483#post922483
Avoiding the Bubba virus

We have introduced many young shooters, as young as ten, to the wonderful world of Mosin and 7.62x54R guns.
The ammo is one of the cheapest milsurps you can buy, which adds up to much more shooting fun.
They are simple,accurate and reliable.
Kids don't seem to be put off by the roar and the flash and don't shy away from the recoil. In fact, many seem to get a particular "kick" out of it!

As to properly introducing your son to the shooting sports, I highly recommend you sign him up for an NRA BASIC RIFLE COURSE to learn the fundamentals.
Start him off with a good .22 and let him master the rifle out to distances of 200yds. You can easily afford to shoot a ton of .22 without breaking the bank and in order to learn to shoot, you have to shoot, and shoot and shoot! Let him get the hang of windage and elevation, how to correct for wind drift, and understand bullet drop or Arc of Trajectory.

Find him a decent M38 or M44. Kids like the shorter carbines which fit them better and are easier for them to handle. They are perfectly accurate out to 200yds and then some. The kids love the "big bang" of these.
Do invest in slip on or screw on recoil pads, a PAST shoulder pad and don't turn his shoulder black and blue!
Have him work with you to build a "custom" Mosin to learn how to tune up and maintain one.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?p=282054&posted=1#post282054

If he takes a liking to it, you will build this hobby into a great father/son past time both of you will enjoy for years to come! Get him into researching the history of these guns and you may find yourselves "collecting" until the safes and closets overflow with them.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Add up the costs first, please. And think of what you will end up with compared to a commercial sporting rifle. None of the milsurps are really suitable for scopes without a lot of work.

And please don't get him a carbine length rifle unless you want him to develop a sore shoulder, a flinch, and an aversion to guns.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info
he has shoot a 22 a fair amount with iron sites ,cant call him a seasoned vet but usually shots better than me (doesent sa much)
he has fired my k98and handled it ok ,so i thought a the 7 36 would be good ive never fired one so i dont know how much they kick was told as much as a 30-30
He wants to shoot somthing with a kick /I bought a 22-250 which would be perfec for him but the ammo isent cheap a dollar a round where i can get mosin ammo for 17 cents a round
your opinions are much apriciated

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,613 Posts
thanks for the info
he has shoot a 22 a fair amount with iron sites ,cant call him a seasoned vet but usually shots better than me (doesent sa much)
he has fired my k98and handled it ok ,so i thought a the 7 36 would be good ive never fired one so i dont know how much they kick was told as much as a 30-30
He wants to shoot somthing with a kick /I bought a 22-250 which would be perfec for him but the ammo isent cheap a dollar a round where i can get mosin ammo for 17 cents a round
your opinions are much apriciated
Even in full-length the M-N kicks more like a 7,92x57 or a 30-06 with military ball in my experience. Carbines or short rifles, between the reduced barrel length (that results in horrific muzzle-blast), stock shape and reduced weight recoil worse. At 14, I'd probably want to be sure he was wearing something like a PAST pad for significant amounts of shooting with anything like a 7.62x54R chambered M-N. Don't need to go beating him into a case of the flinches. And - VERY important - quality hearing protection with ANY firearm including ,22LR.

Scoping a M-N is - not all that easy if you are trying to do a worthwhile job.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have ~ 12 Mosin Nagant type rifles in various states of sporterization.
I have ~80 Mausers in various states of sporterization.

To get the 91/30 types shooting with a scope, I have:
1) Drilled and tapped the front ring for a cantilevered scope mount rail made from the kind of AR riser TAPCO sold in 1999.
2) TIG welded an AK47 scope mount to the 91/30 receiver.
3) Drilled and tapped the front ring for a cantilevered scope mount rail sold by ATI.

You can't really bend the bolt, as the bolt handle is too short. The handle is best cut, lengthened with a weld, and then re welded to the bolt body.

I think the easiest way to get started and to do a good job would be to buy a welded bolt body and drill and tap for an ATI mount.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,267 Posts
This month's Handloader Magazine (or maybe Rifle, don't have them with me) has an excellent article about reloading reduced recoil ammunition using Trail Boss powder. An excellent way for a young shooter to plink without developing a flinch.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Cheap? For plinking?

This combination will cost you about $70 for the mount plus $55 for the scope plus the cost of the rifle.

I have used this on multiple Finn Mosins for accuracy testing, load development and "plinking".

The mount is S & K Mounts. The scope is NC-Star long eye relief scope, 2-7x32.

For a destructive scope mounting, there is a dove tail rail under the rear sight of M91's and 91/30 (I have not verified the 91/30 myself). The rear sight base is soldered and secured with a set screw. The rail will fit a dove tail mount like the one shown. For plinking these are perfect. If my life was on the line - perhaps not adequate.

Daniel39

Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Optical instrument
Machine tool Machine
Gun Rifle Optical instrument Shooting sport Air gun
Gun
Rangefinder Monocular Optical instrument Electronics
Material property

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.