Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
What you have is a refurbished 1937 Tula m1891/30...(you have the pressed in stock escuchions which is indicative of a refurb., the serial numbers have been force-matched which is typical of refurb's, the square with the diagonal line on the stock is a refurb. mark, I believe Ukrainian)...many of the other markings on your barrel shank as well as on the buttstock are proof and acceptance markings very typical of Soviet small arms...

Nice Tula 91/30!!...take it out and shoot it!!...enjoy it as it is!!...it is a cool piece of WW2 and Cold War history!!!...thanks for posting!!...

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
What you have is a refurbished 1937 Tula m1891/30...(you have the pressed in stock escuchions which is indicative of a refurb., the serial numbers have been force-matched which is typical of refurb's, the square with the diagonal line on the stock is a refurb. mark, I believe Ukrainian)...many of the other markings on your barrel shank as well as on the buttstock are proof and acceptance markings very typical of Soviet small arms...

Nice Tula 91/30!!...take it out and shoot it!!...enjoy it as it is!!...it is a cool piece of WW2 and Cold War history!!!...thanks for posting!!...
Buy some spam cans of ammo and go shoot it. Its a nice example and has history. These are wonderful rifles, under priced for what they are and can be very accurate. There are a lot of them on the market but that won't always be the case. Surplus rifles dry up. Wise decision to purchase one and it will pay you dividends in range enjoyment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I took her shooting and had a blast! (no pun intended).

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
One more thing -your rifle almost certainly fought in the actual battles of Red Army soldiers defending their homes in the Great Patriotic War.
Early rifles often have been through wartime refurb and field armourers before their postwar refurb and sometimes carry the marks of battle in the form of scratches and impacts on metal and iron fragments of shells and grenades imbedded in the stock, leaving small black spots of iron oxide, the "frag marks" you may hear referred to.These are rare on newer stocks and full refurbs but are found usually on earlier stocks or non-refurbs.
Brave men may well have died holding that very rifle as the casualty rate of Soviet troops in the early war was very, very high.

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
I don't really see an import mark in the pics. Is it a Century Import?

Nice rifle!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One more thing -your rifle almost certainly fought in the actual battles of Red Army soldiers defending their homes in the Great Patriotic War.
Early rifles often have been through wartime refurb and field armourers before their postwar refurb and sometimes carry the marks of battle in the form of scratches and impacts on metal and iron fragments of shells and grenades imbedded in the stock, leaving small black spots of iron oxide, the "frag marks" you may hear referred to.These are rare on newer stocks and full refurbs but are found usually on earlier stocks or non-refurbs.
Brave men may well have died holding that very rifle as the casualty rate of Soviet troops in the early war was very, very high.
Thank you! That's great info!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What range? I don't know where Chester IL is, I live in Tinley Park IL.
Hello, Clay! You're way up their from me. I use to work in Joliet at the annex prison, that's a little closer to you. Now I live in Chester and spend some time shooting at the Mississippi Valley Gun club on the Jackson/Randolph border on State Route 3; but mostly, I shoot on my friends property.

·
Registered
24,967 Posts
Hello, Clay! You're way up their from me. I use to work in Joliet at the annex prison, that's a little closer to you. Now I live in Chester and spend some time shooting at the Mississippi Valley Gun club on the Jackson/Randolph border on State Route 3; but mostly, I shoot on my friends property.
I know Joliet quite well. I shoot trap at Desplains Fish and Wildlife off of Arsenal Rd. outside of Joliet.

Sean

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Mosinator, this rifle has so many marks, I can barely make out many of them. Maybe you can help me with what I can see. I labeled the larger one's so help a bit:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,622 Posts
Mosinator, this rifle has so many marks, I can barely make out many of them. Maybe you can help me with what I can see. I labeled the larger one's so help a bit:

View attachment 531585
#1 is an unknown Soviet mark...see here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks04.htm

#4 is (I am pretty sure) a provisional black powder proof...see here:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm

not sure about #2 and #3, but they might be markings placed during refurbishment...

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts

·
None of your business.
17,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.