Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a buttplate for a project 91/30. Are the mosin buttplates/stocks pretty standard in shape?

Thanks,

T

·
Gold Bullet member
11,304 Posts
Lapin will say yes, but in practice there is quite a bit of variation in size and shape.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I can tell you that there is a variance at least in some. I tried to swap an older style MN stock onto my new refurb 1923 Izzy and the deal breaker was that the buttplate from my rifle was at least a 1/4" too short leaving an exposed section of the toe. ~Andy

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
Early ones are flush with later ones having a recess in the screw hole that protrudes from the back. They are supposed to be the same size but not really.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,947 Posts
If I have a dozen spare plates I would say that there are a dozen different ones! Bill

·
Registered
846 Posts
The variations I've seen are so wide that it makes me question whether they were all machine stamped/bent or made by hand! :D

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw, crap!

Thanks for all the responses, but I was hoping for more uniformity. Oh well, I have one on the way and maybe I'll get lucky and it will fit my stock. If not, I can see a post entitled "how do I bend a mosin buttplate??" in my near future!! ;)

Thanks, T

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you had posted your buttstock's dimensions beforehand, I'm pretty sure one of us might have one that would fit. I know I have a couple extra floating around.

·
Registered
129 Posts
As you build up the number of Mosins in your possession you also get parts for assorted reasons. Restoration purposes etc. The parts are not uniform for the most part but yeah thats part of the fun. Keep looking, ordering and shopping and you'll find what you need eventually.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you had posted your buttstock's dimensions beforehand, I'm pretty sure one of us might have one that would fit. I know I have a couple extra floating around.

I agree and I have about 15 laying around.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"If you had posted your buttstock's dimensions beforehand, I'm pretty sure one of us might have one that would fit. I know I have a couple extra floating around."

If this one doesn't fit, I'll probably do just that.

Thanks, T

·
Copper Bullet member
949 Posts
I thought the older ones were milled, or at least thicker or cast or something and not stamped.
Ive only tried a couple times to put on a missing butt plate and niether time would it fit correctly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts