Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the cocking knob/ safety has a repair on the top wing on the right side. Looks to be some sort of brass braze. The repair is on a Finnish M39 B barrel that I just recently got and the cocking piece was made by Izhevsk. I have not seen any other repairs on bolts before, did the finns to this kind of repair or repairs to bolts? There is still some brass remnants on the inside top wing. And do you guys think it's safe to use?

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I too have seen a similar repair and if I remember right I threw the cocking piece away rather than use it. I figured why take a chance when a good one of the same arsenal is right in a drawer across the room? Bill

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have seen a similar repair and if I remember right I threw the cocking piece away rather than use it. I figured why take a chance when a good one of the same arsenal is right in a drawer across the room? Bill
I dont have any extra's right now. But I have not see any repairs like this and it's strange that it's very similar to the other posters bolt and in the same spot. I wonder what could have broken or chipped both?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
The area in question is the safety engagement.
Could be that they were adjusted (by grinding) to fit a particular rifle, then when installed onto a different rifle some material needed to be 'put back on'.(?)
Dovetailing and brazing should be a great repair.
I'd have no worries about using the piece, although I never use the safety on a Mosin. I just don't load a round until I'm ready to fire.
I think the arsenal repairs are cool, and an interesting part of the rifles' history.

I haven't thrown away any broken Mosin parts. Have a little drawer full of bits. Never know what I might need later that could be useful.
Have repaired a few broken band springs for fun.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,090 Posts
Phil it is my guess too that these cocking pieces with the inserted replacement pieces were added to correct a locking/latching problem. Either pieces these wore out or they just didn't mate up too well with the bolt. SAKO did make some of their own cocking pieces. Maybe after they realized it took too much time to tinker around with this type of repair it was decided that it would be more efficient to just tool up to make a bunch of their own cocking pieces! just a theory

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Maybe after they realized it took too much time to tinker around with this type of repair it was decided that it would be more efficient to just tool up to make a bunch of their own cocking pieces!
Pretty sure that any repair would take much less time/work than producing a complete part.

I haven't seen this repair before. But I'm going to have to go look closely through my collection. I could understand overlooking one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.