Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes...

I am aware that there are dozens of articles, YouTube videos, and ways to bed the barrel of a Mosin, or any other rifle. The deal is, at least for me, is that fiberglass and or epoxy methods are out. Pretty much anything like that which is permanent is out. While not being a drop dead purist, would rather not ruin a PU sniper or any other "collectable" version in that manner.

So... I have read somewhere that the Russians may have used oil soaked cardboard. Was thinking about using shims of leather, about .020 thick. Have also collected brass and steel sheet shim material. Even seen where somebody used aluminum beer can material to do it.

Anyway, if anyone knows or has done this kind of thing on their Mosin, any info would be greatly appreciated. Again, really only interested in methods that are not permanent. Thanks in advance...

·
Silver Bullet member
2,409 Posts
One of the fellows here has a mosin accurizing kit that he sells on the trader for around $25. Uses prescribed soviet methods with included materials and a guide. I need to get one myself

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,405 Posts
Mosins were frequently shimmed to obtain clearance of the barrel from the wood. Barrel wraps were also used on 91-30 in the vicinity of the front barrel band to deal with barrel harmonics.

You most often hear of the use of an oilsoaked piece of canvas for the barrel wrap, but oiled cardboard, cut up wine bottle corks, and a number of other materials have also been effectively used.

It is not completely unusual to find receiver shims in rifles that came out of refurb. Two of my rifles (a 1945 M44 that saw a very hard life, and never saw a refurb facility, and a refurbed 1933 Hex receiver 91-30) came to me with shims in them, presumably installed in the 'old country'.

The barrel wraps are much more commonly found on sniper rifles.

If you check the WTS board here, board member Raupleminze sells reasonably-priced and pretty authentic shim and barrel wrap kits for 91-30's. These kits come with clear instructions as to how to use the various shims supplied. The kits are not at all expensive, and I recommend you get one.

Not surprisingly, the shims that were in my M44 when I bought it are VERY similar in material, size, shape, and thickness to the ones that Raupleminze supplies. He did his homework when he put his shim kits together.

I have put his kits in two of my 91-30's after I took steps to free-float the barrels.

EDIT: Damn! beaten to the punch AGAIN!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tis ok Ronbo... Happens to me all the time. Your reply is still greatly appreciated. I'm buying a couple of those kits as I have sent Raupleminze a message.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.