Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm new here...yadda...yadda...yadda...blah...blah...blah...

So I have a fancy new C&R licence. I was thinking of getting a Russian M91 or a Finnish M24 as my first rifle (My family owns a shotgun but it was never really mine). Honestly I've never fired a rifle (my experince is only with a single shot 12ga). The reason I wanted a M91 or M24 is mainly because its within my price range, historical value, ammo is cheap, and it will take down any of the larger game I hunt in the NE.

I was just wondering if this would be a good first rifle. I've read and heard alot about how it has terrible recoil but also read and heard that it isn't that bad (leaving me sort of confused). I figure the longer barrel would mean less recoil though.

· Registered
853 Posts
A Mosin is a very dandy rifle to have, but if you wanted to take down game accurately I'd suggest her Finnish variant - possibly an M39?

A 91/30 will serve the purpose, and at $99 it's a steal.

The recoil isn't horrible at all - it's manageable. With a recoil pad (AKA: Shock Armor) you should be good to go; it'll take out most of the bite.

· Mr. Flashy Pants
7,372 Posts
Russian M91s are only available on the secondary market and generally run $200 plus for a decent example. Finnish M24s are even harder to find and will be $350 plus unless you're real lucky. Of course they are both historical, shoot cheap ammo, and will take down most game in North America.

If price is a factor and you want something to take to the woods I would suggest an M91/30 which are readily available from dozens of sources from $70 and up. They have a history of their own and are just as effective on game. Another option would be an M38 (harder to find and more expensive) or an M91/59 (more expensive). Both are carbines that would be handier in the woods.

The longer barrel means more recoil due to more efficient use of the powder as all of it is burned before the bullet leaves the muzzle. This is offset somewhat by the extra weight of the longer barrel, but in most cases with the same ammo a long Mosin will kick harder than a short Mosin.

· Registered
954 Posts
First rifle..... If you are new to shooting PLEASE start with a .22 long rifle. Learning to shoot with a nice well mannered rifle will teach you quite a bit. Buy a "cheap" bolt action .22 and have fun. Learning to shoot on a Mosin may only teach you to flinch and pull an absurdly stiff trigger that will make a seasoned pro shake his head. By all means try to buy one of every make model and calibre with your new C&R; but start this insideous "way of life" with kindest rifle one could shoot. Try to get a Mossberg m44 from the CMP.... collectors gun and training rifle all in one.

Buy a few Mosin rifles, they are fun and the best bargain in recent times -BUT- like any 60+ year old they are mean, cranky and sometimes just plain unpleasant--LOL--

· Registered
2 Posts
here's a pic

I bought two M44's in 07. They were made in 1944 and I paid $89 ea. I shot one of them for the first time a couple weeks ago. Just 20 rounds to make sure it functions. Went out yesterday to shoot. The picture is a 12" shoot n see target. We thought it was at 350 yards turned out it was 310 or 320. I forgot what the guy w/the range finder said. My first four shots were as follows. 1 in the 9 ring, 1 right on the bottom edge of the target, and the other two off target but within about 6". This is with iron sights and shooting from a rickety old table with elbows for support. After some plinking I took four more shots at it leaning up against the truck.... 3 flyers and 1 in the 10 ring.

My friend had two 91/30's. We picked a target on the side of the hill and set the sight at 700. Don't know how close we were but I can tell you the the dust was flying real close to it. This was the first time he had shot his.

http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/imgoinnuckinfuts/?action=view&current=HPIM3784.jpg

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just a question how does the recoil compare to the average cheap 12ga shotgun?

I only plan on buying one rifle this year (well I'll probably buy it in january so it will be next year but i digress) and one shotgun (Really want a browning A-Bolt shotgun...probably going to settle for a cheap old one). Both are to be used for hunting. My price range is in the $100-200 for the rifle.

· Registered
2 Posts
I don't think it's all that bad and there are some after market rubber butt pads that se the existing holes. I don't think it's any worse than a turkey load. For work i've shot slug and 00 buck out of a Mossberg and Remington and the recoil on those was less but they had a rubber butt pad.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys.
I might end up getting a 91/30 just cuz its cheaper but I'm going to try in January (when I have some spending money) to get a M91 or M24. Whatever I have left is going towards a shotgun.

· Registered
5,858 Posts
Heck man, I grew up shooting a lot of different guns. My first gun, ever, was a 48' russian m44. Great gun.
For the money, pick up an m91/30, and before its gone, a tin of ammo. Any grain. The lighter the grain, the less recoil. But, the cheap ammo will only last a bit longer. 200 bucks at the average gun show will get you a good m91/30, a lot of ammo. Then I'd get either a .22 or a shotgun. With all three, you'll have a decent supply of weaponry. Then, you need a handgun......

You won't go wrong with an m91/30. Read a lot here, you'll learn a lot. They are danged good rifles. Like most soviet weapons, noone seems to notice them much.

Come back when you are ready for a handgun....

· Registered
17 Posts
Hey I'm new here too! yada yada yada! My first rifle was a Mosin 1891/30. I got it cause I'm from the former soviet union myself and wanted a piece of history that was used to defend the motherland from the nazi's. It hasn't jammed ones ;) I recommend you get it too and don't be scared of the recoil, it won't kill you :D Just don't forget to clean it after shooting cause your ammo will rust it away

· Registered
579 Posts
For the price a 91/30 would be a good first rifle. However, I would agree that if you can, buy a .22LR rifle. There is hardly any recoil and you can get used to shooting a rifle. In addition .22 ammo is quite inexpensive. Just be prepared for a bit of recoil the first time you shoot a 91/30. I remember the surprise the first time I shot a .30-06 after shooting a .22 for a long time. Anyway, enjoy what ever you get.

· Registered
5,540 Posts
Lochness.....
Welcome to the world of the Mosin Nagant!

First off this;
If its heavy in weight, the felt recoil will be less.
If its short, it will probly kick harder due to the weight reduction in being short.
Muzzle blast is felt a lot more with a short barrel than longer one.

M-91/30s are inexpensive, but if you are willing to spend the $$$ on an original 91 or a Finn'd 24, you shoud consitter the Finn M-39 variation of the Mosin Nagant, mentioned above.
Finnland rebuilt Russian Mosins into the best milsurp on the market today.The M-24 is Finn, as is the M-39

M-39's are a bit heavy,but thats not unbearable, steady and accurate as you are. A 12 gauge kicks harder.
Felt recoil is minimal, the sights are great and it can be carried slung as you like, having better sling mounting points than the rest.
I feel the M-39 is the best variant of Mosins rifle yet. Czeck out gunsnammo .com.

Do yu hunt big game with your shotgun? Bow?
Anyhoo, all things will die with the proper application of the Mosin Nagant.

I use Czeck LPS, 147 grain silver tipped FMJ's to great effect hunting.
M-39, and Czeck LPS are a dynamite combination. You can buy it in 800rd case lots for under 200$ but its going fast.

Get yourself a .22LR of any working kind, no matter what.
They are the gun Karma balance to a well armed man.

A Reminton 870 is hard to beat as a dependable, life long 12Gauge. I use Mossbergs to great effect as well.

Please send all Russian built crap to me, and save the planet.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm not sure why there is hostility.. An M91/30 is my first rifle, for the cash I had it was the better quality deal compared to what I really wanted (an enfield). Most enfields I've come across have been abused to the nth degree it seems. The mosin I got turned out quite nice in comparison. Now I want one of each receiver type from all the arsenals :) I think they call it mosinitis. I don't see what the problem is having one for a first rifle, as long as you know the accuracy can be quite variable. If your going for game, I'd suggest you save up and get something like n XL7 thats a better choice for game, pre scoped and so on and not too expensive.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got the C&R because I wanted to have the guns shipped to me and not a gun shop first. The owner of the local gun shop well, scares the hell out of me (think creepy old gun lunatic from the movies, subtract an eye...sorta..., and you have him) and I don't know anyone else with a FFL.

Lochness.....
Welcome to the world of the Mosin Nagant!

First off this;
If its heavy in weight, the felt recoil will be less.
If its short, it will probly kick harder due to the weight reduction in being short.
Muzzle blast is felt a lot more with a short barrel than longer one.
Thats what I thought.

A 12 gauge kicks harder.
Then I'll be fine with the mosin then. So far I've only hunted with a shotgun and once with a bow (never again...took for ever for the poor deer to die...granted it was because I'm a horrible shot with a bow but...).

I use Czeck LPS, 147 grain silver tipped FMJ's to great effect hunting.
M-39, and Czeck LPS are a dynamite combination. You can buy it in 800rd case lots for under 200$ but its going fast.
Tanks for the advice...I though FMJ's weren't good for hunting though? Pardon me I usually kill deer with slugs, buck shot, and a dump truck (a one time accident when I was younger :rolleyes: ) but I though you were suppose to use expanding ammunition.

A-bolt shotguns are real cheap these days, about 800-1000 dollars, isn't that right mr. troll?
And thus I said I would probably get whatever was cheapest on gunbroker. Theres a difference between what I want and what I'll end up buying.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.