Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

New to the board here. I'm writing to ask for help/advice about a scope mount plate which was broken in shipping.

I purchased this 1944 91/30 from Gunbroker after years of looking for one. Somehow, UPS managed to break off the thumbscrew and a small attaching piece, rendering the mount plate broken in two. I have no idea how this happened, but this gun, which was all-original and in nearly perfect condition, was seriously damaged. Photos below.

I have two main questions.
1: How involved would repairing the mount be? As you can see, the steel is snapped clean in two.
2. Could I replace the mount plate with surplus or (gasp!) reproduction parts? My main problem is that I can't remove the mount plate because it's drilled/welded/attached firmly by these two rivets/pins. I don't have the tools to remove them, let alone the know-how to avoid damaging this otherwise pristine, original rifle.

Any help or advice would be truly appreciated.

Thank you!
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Contact the seller right away. Not your fault it was damaged in shipping, hopefully they insured the shipment so it's easier for you to get a refund. I'd get a refund and look for another example, repair is gonna cost you more than its worth to end up diminishing the value of the rifle due to a modern repair or reproduction mount IMHO.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It is for the best, especially when investment/collector value is what it is these days. That looks to be in beautiful condition too. What a shame and a kick in the nads on both ends.
Note the numbers gentleman for this one will certainly return.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Contact the seller and request a return and a full refund. However, it is interesting to see the impact was big enough to break the mount steel without causing obvious damages to parts around it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Based on the way the edge of the break appears, I would say it is not steel.
That's super interesting; I have not tested it. The scope and scope arm0thing (sorry for my lack of the terminology) are definitely original, as the scope has the proper Soviet reticules on the tower and has been filed on the windage area. Maybe the mount was aftermarket after all?
It is a shame, since this was a matching-numbers, clean-bore, otherwise beautiful piece.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mount is magnetic, made from milled steel, It could not break like that. If it were hit hard enough, it might bend but not break. I think the mount is a reproduction made from some type cheap cast metal. Sorry, but that's what I see.
Oh no need to apologize--I'd rather have all the facts about this gun and whatever the heck happened to it.

·
Administrator
8,503 Posts
Will a magnet even stick to the broken base piece. It looks like it would be made of pot metal.

It would take a seriously sharp blow to break a steel base. Sharp enough to possibly break a lot of the gun
+100, that is not an original mount. Which makes the whole rifle suspect if it was presented to you as original.

Post up pics of the whole rifle including the mount, barrel shank(both sides) and scope.
Lets see what exactly you got.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts