Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about something. A while back I recall someoner saying that either 303 strippers could be used with Mosin ammo or vice versa. Is there anything to this? Both use rimmed cases.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sounds like an urban legend. My .303 strippers are too wide to fit in the slot for the stripper on a Mosin. Mosin strippers would probably fit in the Enfield, but I don't have one handy to try it.

·
Administrator
9,485 Posts
More Interchange BS

Just look at the dimensions of the two cartridges...
.303 Rim, .530, head .455
7,62x54R Rim, .560-565, head .480-85.

.303 will fit sloppily in a Mosin clip, but 7,62x54R will not fit (or fit very tightly, immovably) in a .303 charger.

I can interchange the ammo, though:::: Just run a loaded .303 case into a 7,62 Die (to set back the shoulder) and then chamber and fire in 7,62 Mosin...case will headspace properly (rim almost same thickness) and case will probably split, but Bullet will get on its way quite accurately....This is not recommended practice except in a dire Battlefiled emergency... and then, where would you get a press and FLS die in the middle of a battle...unless it was in your home town....

I mention this because in the days when .303 Long Blanks were plentiful ( not anymore) and 7,62x54R Long blanks were non- existent, the only way to "Blank Fire" and SVT40 or an AVT40 was to use resized .303 Blanks...they fed well and extracted well, given the Tok's Big extractor claw, despite the size deficit in the rim.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Diamond Member
7,178 Posts
tedley2, The 303 round will fit into the mosin clip, but the entire clip is "swallowed up" by the Enfield magazine upon insertion. Yes, it is a rainy day here. Denny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts