Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
I think I have an ID on this one. I was thumbing through dad's WWII pocket notebook and in the back he has a short list of some pics he took. This was one...
"Katihar Junction MPs"
Since we've determined they're MPs and seem to be at a RR "junction(?), I'd say that's it. :) Seems to be taken between Nov1 to Nov. 6, 1944.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Somewhere in India. A Brit Soldier and Some Indian I expect. Not a Gurhka though? And what is that head gear???
View attachment 5378

the Headgear or a photo glitch???
View attachment 5379

MP HQ. This one Dad made a note on... "Iingkawk Sakom Station". India?
View attachment 5380

Self explanatory. Dad drove that road. Relatively unknown in it's day it was a marvel of engineering. Today it is largely forgotten.
View attachment 5381

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I believe that the Indian soldier is a Punjabi. I understand that most of the Indian troops who fought in Burma (except for the Gurkhas) were Muslims from (what today is) Bangladesh or Pakistan. Hindu sepoys (OK, I know that an archaic term) had religious restrictions about serving outside of India and many of them were forbidden by their religion from taking sea voyages.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Never seen headgear like that.

Looks like a photo glitch.

Can anyone else tell?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you're right about his being an MP. I just went back and looked at the blow up of the head gear/photo glitch(?) and I do believe there are the letters "MP" on the front of his turban.
i think you will find that the indian solder is a sikh or pathan. by the colour of holster he may have been a mp

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think you're right about his being an MP. I just went back and looked at the blow up of the head gear/photo glitch(?) and I do believe there are the letters "MP" on the front of his turban.
Dang...Your eyes are better then mine for sure!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
557 Posts
Krag-

Hindu troops certainly served outside of India. Read John Masters's two volume autobiography, esp. the second volume, "THe Road Past Mandalay". He was an officer with the 4th Ghurkas. They were definitely Hindu, and served in Iraq and in Burma.

I'm sure there are other instances.

THis does mean that you are totally wrong. It may have been a factor in some units, not in others.

Lone Star

1 - 9 of 9 Posts