Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than just looking good and offering slightly better ergonomics, are there any immediate benefits to doing a conversion? I know a bullet guide must be installed but that is to accomodate standard AK magazines, right?

Performance wise, is an out of the box Saiga just as good/reliable/accurate as a home conversion or other brand AK look alike? I mean with 30 round Surefire or Saiga brand magazines, wouldn't a standard Saiga carbine make a good, reliable SHTF rifle? I know the magazines ain't cheap, though.

The reason I ask all this is because I spotted a 7.62x39 16" barrel carbine at the show this weekend and bought one. Heck, it was only $289.00! I had toyed with the idea of converting it but I am finding I like the looks of this little carbine and the darn thing is ROCK solid as is. I love the hand written range report and Russian inspection stamps in the manual that comes with the gun... Super cool.

I can't wait to get this thing to the range and put some rounds through it. :)

Anyway, opinions and information please!

· Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...I own 200+ OEM AK mags...
And I thought I was bad having 5 or 6 for each semi auto I own. What on earth do you do with 200 AK mags? Do you collect variations? I'm that way with Garand en bloc clips.

mridick - Any thoughts on Pro Mag magazines for the Saiga? I ordered a 3 pack from The Sportman's Guide for 49.95 and then read quite a few bad reviews on them. So I ordered some Surefire mags which seem to get much better reviews.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.