Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Other than just looking good and offering slightly better ergonomics, are there any immediate benefits to doing a conversion? I know a bullet guide must be installed but that is to accomodate standard AK magazines, right?

Performance wise, is an out of the box Saiga just as good/reliable/accurate as a home conversion or other brand AK look alike? I mean with 30 round Surefire or Saiga brand magazines, wouldn't a standard Saiga carbine make a good, reliable SHTF rifle? I know the magazines ain't cheap, though.

The reason I ask all this is because I spotted a 7.62x39 16" barrel carbine at the show this weekend and bought one. Heck, it was only $289.00! I had toyed with the idea of converting it but I am finding I like the looks of this little carbine and the darn thing is ROCK solid as is. I love the hand written range report and Russian inspection stamps in the manual that comes with the gun... Super cool.

I can't wait to get this thing to the range and put some rounds through it. :)

Anyway, opinions and information please!

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,882 Posts
I've always done the mag conversions because either the surefire mags weren't available or I wasn't willing to pay the asking price when I own 200+ OEM AK mags... However before you do the mag conversion means doing the USA compliance thing which has always resulted (for me) a full blown conversion....:)

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...I own 200+ OEM AK mags...
And I thought I was bad having 5 or 6 for each semi auto I own. What on earth do you do with 200 AK mags? Do you collect variations? I'm that way with Garand en bloc clips.

mridick - Any thoughts on Pro Mag magazines for the Saiga? I ordered a 3 pack from The Sportman's Guide for 49.95 and then read quite a few bad reviews on them. So I ordered some Surefire mags which seem to get much better reviews.

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
Other than just looking good and offering slightly better ergonomics, are there any immediate benefits to doing a conversion?
Anyway, opinions and information please!

The trigger in the factory leaves much to be desired. It is very gritty feeling and slow on the pull. A better trigger is a big, big plus to me. I also try to go with the 10 mags per gun, but only have a few guns at the moment. I liked the surefire mags, but the mil-surp ones I have are much better and cheaper.

If you decide you want a pistol grip, dont let yourself go the tapco intrafuse route. it will leave you wanting more in a short time. then you will have to spend more money to go all out. Lots of people have gone that route, just to turn around and go all the way. I did use a Russian Saiga Skeleton stock for some time on my first one. It was very nice. The cheek rest gives great sight alignment. If you like the factory feel, one of these could be all the upgrade you might need. It feels much more solid than the factory buttstock.

·
Registered
722 Posts
The trigger in the factory leaves much to be desired. It is very gritty feeling and slow on the pull. A better trigger is a big, big plus to me. I also try to go with the 10 mags per gun, but only have a few guns at the moment. I liked the surefire mags, but the mil-surp ones I have are much better and cheaper.

If you decide you want a pistol grip, dont let yourself go the tapco intrafuse route. it will leave you wanting more in a short time. then you will have to spend more money to go all out. Lots of people have gone that route, just to turn around and go all the way. I did use a Russian Saiga Skeleton stock for some time on my first one. It was very nice. The cheek rest gives great sight alignment. If you like the factory feel, one of these could be all the upgrade you might need. It feels much more solid than the factory buttstock.
I agree on the long trigger pull and something to be desired. However I don't have a gritty trigger, mine is smooth as a baby's butt and tightens up right before the break. After installing the Tapco T6 Intrafuse buttstock and s.a.w. pistol grip I am perfectly happy with it. Since the 5.45 doesnt require a bullet guide and I have 6 bulgarian mags with it, I have NEVER had a single hiccup even bumpfiring 90 rounds through without stopping. Adding a barrel mounted bipod and a 16x-40mm scope I am able rip ragged holes @ 50+100 meters. All the BS about AKs being inaccurate is the typical brainwashing of the american public. All I have to say is, put a scope on your AK and benchrest shoot it, IT WILL AMAZE YOU. Of course this is my opinion and my Saiga-74 is a new production rifle, not assembled from some parts kits. The chrome lined barrel was the sole reason I bought it and being a fan of the 5.45x39 because it doubles the range of the standard AKs 300 meter to 600 meters. Of course another added bonus of this platform is that "no one ever complained an AK wasn't deadly enough", but the AR fanboys often overlook this fact as they praise that 3 part flawed system.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Kurz what state are you in? The lowest I've found a Saiga-47 in GA is $319. Also those of you that have done the conversion, can you just put rivets in the rear holes without welding it? I don't mind the saiga fore-end of the rifle and could get another Tapco T6 stock, but instead of a bullet guide I would just want some Surefire magazines for it or better yet the Izmash 30 rounders (though they will be expensive).

·
Copper Bullet member
443 Posts
Kurz what state are you in? The lowest I've found a Saiga-47 in GA is $319. Also those of you that have done the conversion, can you just put rivets in the rear holes without welding it? I don't mind the saiga fore-end of the rifle and could get another Tapco T6 stock, but instead of a bullet guide I would just want some Surefire magazines for it or better yet the Izmash 30 rounders (though they will be expensive).
Nylon hole plugs (in black) available at lowes, look just like the rivet heads on the receiver already. These are what most people use to close the extra holes up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts