Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
You might tighten up that group with heavier boat tails that work better for long range work!
Regardless of final DX it is still a nice looking rifle. Regards, John.
He only was shooting 50 yards? That is hardly long range or to my way of thinking a test? 100 yards at a minimum for trying a good rifle with open sights. Good gravy I am 73 years old and I shoot my M39's at 300 yards when shooting clay pigeons off the bench with surplus Albanian I have hoarded over the years. If I get serious (which rarely happens as I shoot for fun and enjoyment) at 100 yards a good Mosin of any vintage will group quarter sized and that is with surplus. If it won't do that I either move on or start testing with different ammo. Bill

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He only was shooting 50 yards? That is hardly long range or to my way of thinking a test? 100 yards at a minimum for trying a good rifle with open sights. Good gravy I am 73 years old and I shoot my M39's at 300 yards when shooting clay pigeons off the bench with surplus Albanian I have hoarded over the years. If I get serious (which rarely happens as I shoot for fun and enjoyment) at 100 yards a good Mosin of any vintage will group quarter sized and that is with surplus. If it won't do that I either move on or start testing with different ammo. Bill
You gentleman are more experienced than me for sure. I am here to learn and it is working. I was shooting pretty good groups with my 45 Sako M39 , but was using the front sight post to cover the bullseye and it obviously prevents me from seeing the darn thing with a consistent sight picture, when pulling the trigger. On this forum the other day, someone suggested a 6 o'clock hold instead. I tried it yesterday and made the necessary adjustments, and it gives me tighter groups, and more control over shot placement. I was just used to shooting that way all these years and with other types of guns. I am 52 years old, and my eyesight is poor. Out past 100 yards I can't see a darn thing. I would love to try shooting longer distances, but eyes aren't the best. My range is only 100 yards, for my farm is all wooded, and had to bulldoze the 100 yards out that I have. I do normally shoot from my 100 yard table with the Mosins, and shoot from my 50 yard table with other guns. I am excited about shooting this M28/30 from the 100 yard table and seeing how I do, because if the groups aren't good, I can only blame the pilot for error. Thanks again

·
Gold Bullet member
9,495 Posts
He only was shooting 50 yards? That is hardly long range or to my way of thinking a test? ...
Give the guy a break! It is prudent to shoot a new or unknown rifle at short range to verify sighting.

Every new-to-me rifle goes first to my club's 25 yard range to verify that the sights and bullet trajectory are in some sort of agreement. All my club needs is for a bullet to go over the berm. There are a couple of developers in my county that are itching to grab my club's range.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,943 Posts
You gentleman are more experienced than me for sure. I am here to learn and it is working. I was shooting pretty good groups with my 45 Sako M39 , but was using the front sight post to cover the bullseye and it obviously prevents me from seeing the darn thing with a consistent sight picture, when pulling the trigger. On this forum the other day, someone suggested a 6 o'clock hold instead. I tried it yesterday and made the necessary adjustments, and it gives me tighter groups, and more control over shot placement. I was just used to shooting that way all these years and with other types of guns. I am 52 years old, and my eyesight is poor. Out past 100 yards I can't see a darn thing. I would love to try shooting longer distances, but eyes aren't the best. My range is only 100 yards, for my farm is all wooded, and had to bulldoze the 100 yards out that I have. I do normally shoot from my 100 yard table with the Mosins, and shoot from my 50 yard table with other guns. I am excited about shooting this M28/30 from the 100 yard table and seeing how I do, because if the groups aren't good, I can only blame the pilot for error. Thanks again
Don't sell your shooting capabilities short just yet!

Had you been a Finnish defender on a day during the late Soviet offensive at Ilumantsi, there would have been three enemy combatants who would not answer the roll call on the next morning.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
28-30 rifles are known to have .308 bores, if you have the capability to reload your own ammo, try doing so with 30 caliber projectiles, then experiment with different .308 bullet weights, I am guessing 150 to 180 grain bullets with a boat tail just might be the cats meow for these rifles.

Surplus military 7.62x54r is not .308, so the larger diameter surplus bullet might be impeding your rifles good accuracy potential - I am not knocking your groups nor the distance that the rifle was fired, as I am 50ish...;) as well and also have extremely poor eyesight.

I sold off a couple real nice 28-30 rifles that had superb bores, but still have four or five 28-30s with excellent bores and will be posting my results with them this late Fall.

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
I have always started shooting rifles at 100 yards and was told by many people that most higher powered rifle bullets really don't totally stabilize till that distance or maybe longer at times. If I have trouble with a rifle then I may drop back to 50 yards for a few shots. I totally forgot about the 28/30 maybe being a 308 bored rifle. Dumb of me. Another dumb move I forgot to mention other than a few times I have not figured a rifle out till about the 5 trip or so to the range. Do not expect too much of yourself and your new rifle too soon in your relationship with it. If you are not hand loading for a 28/30 your accuracy can suffer because of that 308 bore and the fact that you are stuffing a 311 or so surplus or new bullet down that bore. This is a major reason I shoot mostly my M39's when I get at all serious about accuracy. At 73 I frankly refuse to start hand loading and trying to learn about something else! My old addled brain is frankly I think over full now! Sell your shooting capabilities short and you will always be willing to try and learn something else (yeah I know what about hand loading you old fart) or a new way to do things. A good student always has a mixture of confidence and humility. Keep pecking at these rifles and you will learn what makes them sing for you and regardless of what we all tell you it may be completely off our suggestions. I promised a couple people I would not use this old saying but there are a lot of ways to kill a cat (heck I love the little critters) so don't give up use what you find works for you. Most importantly enjoy doing it! Bill

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
28-30 rifles are known to have .308 bores, if you have the capability to reload your own ammo, try doing so with 30 caliber projectiles, then experiment with different .308 bullet weights, I am guessing 150 to 180 grain bullets with a boat tail just might be the cats meow for these rifles.

Surplus military 7.62x54r is not .308, so the larger diameter surplus bullet might be impeding your rifles good accuracy potential - I am not knocking your groups nor the distance that the rifle was fired, as I am 50ish...;) as well and also have extremely poor eyesight.

I sold off a couple real nice 28-30 rifles that had superb bores, but still have four or five 28-30s with excellent bores and will be posting my results with them this late Fall.

Pahtu.
Thanks a bunch for the info. The bore slugged at 308, so that's a good feeling. I don't have the skill sets to reload as of yet, but I have been using Lapua 7.62x53r 123 gr. fmj and 185 gr mega. The 123 gr kicks less and is so sweet shooting in this gun, it is hard to change to anything else. Even though it has a D stamp, I feel much safer and comfortable shooting the 53r. Wow...five 28/30's with excellent bores!!!.... That is great...and I look forward to seeing your post on them. Again Pahtu, thank you.
View attachment 2317098

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't sell your shooting capabilities short just yet!

Had you been a Finnish defender on a day during the late Soviet offensive at Ilumantsi, there would have been three enemy combatants who would not answer the roll call on the next morning.
Thanks, and yes sir I agree. I usually shoot from my 50 yard table with a new gun to ensure everything is safe and in working order before going to my 100 yard table. I guess I got a little excited with the guns first 3 shots that day. But it was an exciting day, for it is my only time ever holding, owning, and shooting an M28/30. A rifle I am very fond of when it comes to it's history.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I fired a couple of Russian surplus rounds through my first 28/30 years ago. I didn't understand why it was so hard to open the bolt after each round. Packed it up for the day. Did some research later and discovered the info about 28/30's having a .308 bore. Slugged it and that's exactly what is measures. They shoot quite well with .308 bullets. I would not recommend shooting surplus ammo in a 28/30 for both the rifles health and your own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.