Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standard Swede Forum Ballistic Medium {Jugs 'n 1/2" Plywood Boards}. All shooting at 20 yards:

Here are the bullets:

Download Attachment:
98.09 KB

From Left-to-Right:

6.5x55, Hornady 160 grain RN at 2240 fps. Full penetration of 2 jugs, full penetration of 3 boards. Bullet found in 3rd jug. 2 jugs tossed about 8 feet from the table, 3rd jug stayed on the table. Recovered weight 115 grains, 72%, diameter .518 inch.

.375 H&H Magnum, Hornady 220 Flat Point at 2450 fps {reduced load, "9.3x57 Duplicate"}. Full penetration 2 jugs, Full penetration 2 boards. Bullet stuck in 3rd board, impact on the board causing a dent and leak in the 3rd jug though bullet never reached the 3rd jug. Recovered weight 134.4 grains, 61%, diameter .680 inch.

.375 H&H Magnum, Hornady 300 grain Round Nose Interlock Soft Point at 2450 fps. Full penetration 2 jugs, full penetration 3 boards. Bullet dented far side of 3rd jug and dented 4th board. Bullet found on table, all three jugs tossed clear of the table with several boards shattering. One large shard of jacket found in 3rd jug. Recovered weight 152 grains, 51%, diameter .645. {I have used this load on deer, elk and blue wildebeest and it has killed very well. That the bullet sheds so much weight seems quite surprising.}

I have shot more game with the .375 than with the 6.5x55, but I have shot several deer and elk with both, and plains game in South Africa with the .375. I was for many years an absolute die-hard .375 fan. Having said that, I have not noticed game dieing slower with the 6.55x55 than with the .375 H&H and I haven't noticed that game died faster with the .375 than with the 6.5x55...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. Jn 3:16 Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum.

Edited by - LeeSpeed on 02/08/2007 11:25:58 AM

LeeSpeed
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1024 Posts
Posted - 02/08/2007 : 11:26:57 AM

Sorry, I forgot to include the measurements on the .375/300 bullet. Added above.

For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life. Jn 3:16 Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum.

Onsite
Gunboards Member

22 Posts
Posted - 02/14/2007 : 01:09:17 AM

LeeSpeed, I wonder if penetration would have been better if you had shot from 100 yards? I saw some data and pictures in Hatchers Notebook where someone had shot an 06 at (oak?) boards. One picture was of the bullet and channel when shot from close range and the penetration was not that great. The next picture showed bullet and channel when shot from 100yds and the penetration was a significantly longer. It seemed that the bullet was not wholly stabilized at the shorter distance and yawed at an upward angle soon after hitting the wood. Just a thought while you are out there blasting away. By the way thanks for the info. I am a great fan of the 6.5x55. Especially with the Hornady 160. Onsite

LeeSpeed
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1024 Posts
Posted - 02/14/2007 : 09:26:43 AM

Onsite:

Thanks for your observation. You are correct. Penetration WILL be deeper at 100 yards. In fact, in this type of medium, penetration should be better all the way out to 600 or 700 yards, I suspect, maybe more. At 20 yards velocity is close to muzzle speed and the bullet has not yet "gone to sleep" as regards stabilization, either.

Your observation is correct.

The purpose of these tests isn't to show how far a bullet will penetrate in game, but rather to compare bullets against each other and at home here against bullets recovered from game. These tests take a bunch of time to write up, etc, I haven't gone into it all, but I have a few I've collected over the years and comparing them with the bullets recovered in the tests leads me to some conclusions about how to use the data collected in these test. Besides, they are fun to shoot!

I haven't shown all tests I've shot, just the ones relevant to the Swede Forum. Also, I am planning to shoot about 8 different .303 British loads in the coming months and will post the results below on the Lee Enfield Forum.

Personally, since I hold my shots to about 200 yards, I am most concerned about the shorter distances at which game is shot. A 20 yard impact stresses a bullet tremendously. A bullet SHOULD open up quite a bit and yet, IMO, should not fragment and go to pieces. I wasn't too pleased with the 8x57 wolf load because it didn't open up too well and compared with other known performers, "over-penetrated", for example.

Right off the bat I'll say that I am more concerned about establishing a "standard" for penetration and bullet expansion in this medium. Having now shot a fair number of bullets, some posted here, I am coming to some conclusions.

So far I've basically shot well-established, medium velocity calibers lobbing bullets of good sectional density that perform their best out to 200 yards or so. That is part of the reason why these loads look so similar in performance.

A couple other calibers put a point on the pencil: for example, some .270/130, .30-06/150 and 7.62x39/123 bullets demonstrate measurably less penetration and severe fragmentation of bullets. The .45-70 with 402 grain cast bullets penetrate very deeply. I do not like the .270/130 we've tested for much of our hunting here for just these reasons, though it is an excellent caliber/bullet choice for some applications.

What I cannot post is the hydraulic effect of bullet impact. That does vary between calibers.

I'm not done with this topic, particularly in regard to the 6.5x55. One thing stands clear. The performance of the little 6.5x55 is quite remarkable when compared to calibers very much bigger. The tests demonstrate that what hunters have said for many years bears true in wood and water, bullets from the 6.5x55 can expand, penetrate and hold together.

More to come!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts