Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a thread on a closed out sale (another board) which indicated a monopod
for the Type 99, Arisaka sold for $245.

My question is : Is the monopod really that scarce that it demands such a high price?

I know most Type 99 don't have them (for whatever reasons WWII, bubba etc etc) but
with most not having it, I don't seem to see the market value of rifles suffer that much
if they no longer have their monopod.

Thank you for your comments.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I just bought an original one from SNZ for (gulp) $209 shipped.It's supposed to be from a Borneo captured T-99.It's going on my
mummed 37 series TJK which has the mono band already and a/c sights.I've seen the repros for sale for as little as $30.I guess I like original.
For $245 you can buy a decent complete M/M mumless rifle.

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the feedback. I was unaware of the market value but certainly
collectors demand and pay that amount so it is what it is.

I have a legit Guadalcanal bring back, all matching, mum and remnants of leather sling still on it.
Its airplane sights and monopod are intact. Sadly, the old vet never did anything to the bore and
the last IJA troop who shot that rifle put corrosive ammo down that bore and its a lunar landscape
today. Bore is Toast & Ruined. However, its all there , has history and on the wall. Its monopod stays regardless
of value.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. I was unaware of the market value but certainly
collectors demand and pay that amount so it is what it is.

I have a legit Guadalcanal bring back, all matching, mum and remnants of leather sling still on it.
Its airplane sights and monopod are intact. Sadly, the old vet never did anything to the bore and
the last IJA troop who shot that rifle put corrosive ammo down that bore and its a lunar landscape
today. Bore is Toast & Ruined. However, its all there , has history and on the wall. Its monopod stays regardless
of value.
Can you put up some pics?Luckily mine has a chrome lined bore and is pretty mint.I'll be taking out abox of PRVI to put though
soon.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Are you sure about the bore? If it's an early T99, it should be chrome lined. Maybe it just needs a real thorough cleaning? I remember when monopods were about $75 - $100. Doesn't seem all that long ago. Maybe 10 years or less?

·
Registered
20,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CW: my bring back Type 99 has a bore that is just ruined. There is no trace it was chrome lined. Its been cleaned thoroughly and its been neglected to a rough state that would shred a bullets jacket if a round was fired through it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,721 Posts
I believe most pods sell in the $150 range; $245 is unusual. Some folks just can't wait, and get into a bidding war.

Not all rifles had pods of course, but one that should have a pod will reflect the value of the pod itself in a higher rifle price, IMO.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,283 Posts
My Saipan bringback battle damaged 31st series has an ate up chrome bore as well. Not as likely to get that way but it can happen
The pod for that 37th mentioned above should have an inspection mark on the pod spring like I showed on another thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.