Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We discuss these markings time to time. Thought I'd put together the photos I have of different ones. Photos sometimes get scrambled in the upload so you can tell what these are by putting your cursor on the photo and reading it's title.
These are from Kokura, Nagoya, Tokyo Juki Kogyo, and Toyo Kogyo. On these, it seems only Nagoya placed a mark out on the "foot" of the wire. It may be the "ri" mark shown, or the M inspection mark

Attachments

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Nice ensemble old buddy. TJK was the only manfacturer to proof the monopod spring and you have shown a great picture.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Nice job, these need to go in the next "book" too; who ever does one!

What is the mark on the forward part of the TK pod hinged part?

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job, these need to go in the next "book" too; who ever does one!

What is the mark on the forward part of the TK pod hinged part?
Thanks for the nice comments
Don, the mark on the forward part of the part is an incomplete "sha" mark. The markings in the notch have me kinda stumped. I thought it was the Hiro mark until I enlarged the photo

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments
Don, the mark on the forward part of the part is an incomplete "sha" mark. The markings in the notch have me kinda stumped. I thought it was the Hiro mark until I enlarged the photo
OK, now that you tell me it is a sha; I can see it. Perhaps the other mark is a sub-contractor mark, would explain why the inspection mark is there in addition to it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Great reference pics, Rob. Thaks for doing this.

John in Charlotte, NC
+2 on that. Especially when sellers are swapping metal with wood as evidenced by a recent post here regarding a Nagoya that was housed in a TK stock.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dat be the one. Pretty, but you have to shake your head when a $40.00 book could have saved the buyer $800.00..................
Actually, I don't think that rifle is really in all that nice of condition. Must be some fairly new disease going on - mumitis? ;)

·
Registered
8,102 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great display, dawgs!
Mucho Thanky Fred
I'd be curious to know if any markings are in the 'notch' of the wire base on the TJK pod. That rifle is fully "staked" and I won't be the one to change that. Anyone have an "unmounted" TJK pod?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently got to identify this Type 97 Sniper rifle of a 1937-38 (4 digit serial) Kokura marked Arisaka. At first glance I was dumbfounded as to its make. Then I saw the characters on the top of the receiver, nearby a large file mark where the Mum used to be. I knew it was military, probably Jappanese, then I hit this site and found the Arsenal markings post. The rifle itself was pretty beat up, but I doubt I'll look so good at 80+ years old! The rifle did have the brass muzzle cap, but no scope, bayonet, dust cover, sling, or cleaning rod.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,603 Posts
Where did you come up with Type 72?

Never heard of one.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where did you come up with Type 72?

Never heard of one.
I haven't heard of a 100+ year old Japanese sniper rifle before either :confused:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like many are on the hunt for an original monopod. Preferably Kokura to match the rest of the rifle. Do any of you know of any sellers or can you recommend a place to look besides eBay...I check there a lot. Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet Member
641 Posts
A type 72 sniper?!?!? did it have a scope on it ? alot of people confuse a rifle with exotic iron sights as a sniper. Maybe a fantasy rifle made by bubba. Pictures would be the answer. I don't think there is a model 72 Japanese rifle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My bad, I was looking at a lot of old guns that week, and the Arisaka I was holding was a Type 97. I only know what I saw on http://members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/arisakas.htm

but thanks for pointing out my mistake, because I went back to the above page and followed the Nambu link in the Type 97 description and learned that the 4000 range serial number the rifle I was looking at wasn't made in 1906, but was halfway through a run of 8000! As dexcribed in this page http://members.shaw.ca/stevebryant/t97sniperriflepix.htm

Yes pictures would be good, but my iPod camera isn't fabulous, so this is waht you get...
http://s1170.photobucket.com/albums/r532/WebOfDistress/Type 97 Arisaka/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts