Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting lead bullet plinkers for years in my Makarovs, but my new (to me) CZ-82 probably/supposedly/maybe shouldn't be fed a regular diet of lead bullets (polygonal rifling, and all that.) Jacketed .362 bullets make reloads almost as expensive as Wolf ammo (apart from the cost of the cases, some of which are always lost at each range session.)

I can get plated bullets from Berry's, but moly coated lead bullets are about half the cost of plated. I've never loaded or shot moly, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with such things in a CZ-82 (or a Glock, for that matter) and can say whether the moly coating eliminates the leading risk that supposedly causes the problems in polygonal bores?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I decided to do some more research. On the Glock Talk site under the general glocking section there's a thread about using moly coated bullets in a Glock. I don't know what the internet protocol is on just copying somebody's post to some other forum, so instead I copied the URL. Go here http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=762218&highlight=moly+and+coated to see the original.

Basically, several people say they shoot moly coated bullets in their Glocks without difficulty, and nobody has any first hand experience with any difficulties caused by the moly.

So I think I'll try some of the moly coated bullets in my CZ-82, and just keep an eye on the bore.

·
Copper Bullet member
10,363 Posts
Well, I decided to do some more research. On the Glock Talk site under the general glocking section there's a thread about using moly coated bullets in a Glock. I don't know what the internet protocol is on just copying somebody's post to some other forum, so instead I copied the URL. Go here http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=762218&highlight=moly+and+coated to see the original.

Basically, several people say they shoot moly coated bullets in their Glocks without difficulty, and nobody has any first hand experience with any difficulties caused by the moly.

So I think I'll try some of the moly coated bullets in my CZ-82, and just keep an eye on the bore.
Please keep everyone informed on what you find. Am wanting to start reloading for my CZ-82.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moly coated lead seems OK

I see I never followed up on this thread, although I think I've commented about my experience on other threads.

Short answer, the Bear Creek moly coated lead bullets do NOT seem to present any problems in my CZ-82s in the modest amount of shooting I've done with them. After a few rounds there IS a spiral trace of something down the barrel where I presume the "grooves" are, but it doesn't seem to get much worse out to 200 rounds or so (the most lead rounds I've ever fired in a row.)

At the same time, it doesn't seem to be much different from the residue that's left from Meister "ordinary" lead bullets using the same powder charge. These are low-velocity (~800 fps) plinking loads, and may not obdurate the bullet completely, so I may be seeing powder blowby residue down the barrel rather than lead or moly coating.

I usually finish up a range session with FMJ rounds (on the "tactical" range, where variable/moving shooting positions and a crushed rock surface make case recovery virtually impossible, so I shoot Russian stuff over there and just leave the cases.) After a hundred or so FMJ rounds the barrel "fouling" from lead bullets is almost all gone, and it disappears completely using very little effort with a bronze brush during regular cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts