Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, I wanted to post this project I'm working on. I've got an archangel stock for this mosin since someone already drilled it for a scope mount. I need to figure out the thread pitch so I can figure out what kind of mount I can put on this. I'm guessing I will need to cut out part of the stock, does anyone have experience making cutouts in an archangel? I'd like to know what the right tool would be for that. Would appreciate any advice since this is my first project like this. Thanks!

- Big Sam

·
Registered
141 Posts
Probably the easiest is to get some screws and see what fits. The standard aftermarket sight screw sizes are 6-48 and 8-40, though it could be whatever the maker wanted it to be... I don't know Mosin scope bases. If you feel this isn't the PU, Weaver side mount or an available aftermarket base, it might be easiest to just cobble up something like the one I made below. I think it was Steve Redgewell's(sp?) design from way back. Your round receiver makes it a bit more difficult for a good fit and some time with a ball end mill would make it much easier I suspect. But, you have plenty of holes there. No sense making any more! Basically, line up the base, clamp in place and mark the front hole. Drill the base, attach with 1 screw. Level it up again, mark and drill the rear hole. Secure and drill the remaining holes. Below is a bit from something I posted years ago.

Here is a simple base I made for a #4 I bought that was already drilled and tapped for something. I wanted to know if the rifle would shoot before I went any further with it. I cannot see that little front sight well enough to know which of us was being tested. With the scope off I can use the aperture at the 300 yd or taller setting. That's important to me and I want to alter a front sight base to take a sourdough front that I can see. A little rough but didn't look too bad after it was blued. I leveled the bore and then the top of the base before it was drilled to match the existing holes in the receiver. The scope adjustments were centered and the group pictured was shot at about 40 yds. A couple quick adjustments and it was good to go. I'm happy with the way it worked out. It might not win any beauty contests but it's rugged and reliable.

[/IMG]

·
Silver Bullet member
1,753 Posts
Interesting....was that an ex sniper that someone failed miserably at rescoping? You may luck out an find that PU screws and pins will work, but sitting in that stock it looks like there is no way the holes are indexed to the bore. If you have access to equipment, I echo the prior post with trying to use the old holes and making a custom mount, but it may be easier to just start over, even if it means more holes..

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.