Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- I recently got a British made Patt.1876 socket bayonet with 22-inch [559mm] long triangular blade [with no scabbard]. The bayonet was modified to fit the .303 Martini-Enfield rifle. The top of the bridge was cut, the socket was bushed and the median socket ring is tall having a tension screw. When fixed to the rifle, the bayonet triangular blade is going to be on the right side as normal. Some original British markings are still visible on the blade by the shank [serial number "2838" and the sale mark showing 2 broad arrows head to head] and the blade also has some strange markings. From what I know the Citadel Arsenal [from Egypt] modified some British Patt.1876 socket bayonets to fit the .303 Martini-Enfield rifle by cutting the socket bridge and bushing the socket. ---> QUESTIONS: 1) How many Patt.1876 socket bayonets were modified in Egypt for the .303 Martini-Endfield rifles???? 2) What it was the period of time when the Patt.1876 socket bayonets were modified in Egypt??? 3) How long the .303 Martini-Enfield rifle was used in Egypt with this type of modified socket bayonet??? Any other info about this conversion made in Egypt will interest me. Thanks in advance for any help, Lido 07/30/08

1 - 2 of 2 Posts