Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
G'Day All,
I am a new member to the forum and I an seeking assistance.
My name is Phil and I have been handed this item by its owner to help identify it and how it came to be like it is.
I am in the small regional town of Young, NSW, Australia.
From my research it appears to be a Kropatschek Mle 1878 Marine bayonet that has had another bayonet blade of the same rifle added to the barrel hole to create a field use utensil. (See attached photos)
Being retire Australian military, I am very interested in the history of this item. Another retired RAR friend believes that it has been created to be a tongs for some purpose.
I would appreciate any comments/input as to how this may have come to be done.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,477 Posts
Hello Bluespectre!

Welcome to Gunboards!

Examples like this show up from time-to-time that were commercially produced with obsolete bayonets to be used in fireplaces.

Interesting find!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
From my research it appears to be a Kropatschek Mle 1878 Marine bayonet
It's not a French 1878 Kropatschek Marine bayonet but a French 1874 Gras bayonet.

The 1878 has a straight hilt back - the 1874 has a raised pommel section. Otherwise both bayonet has a similar appearance with T-back blade, wooden grip scales, muzzlering and quillon crossguard, brass pommel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.