Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
37,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
[I decided to rebuild this post from the old Gunboards rather than just cut-and-paste]
[Also decided to make the attached photos embedded as well]

Hi there!

I had picked up a Springfield 87M (the oft mis-identified "Garand Trainer Prototype") and it came with an older Redfield receiver sight that Bubba had added on. Since the original rear sight was long gone, I decided to upgrade to a modern scope using the existing mounting holes and screws on the rifle. . However, that would prove to be quite a pain. Fortunately I have a brother-in-law who is a shooting enthusiast who happens to have some nice machine tools. This is his story.

(BTW, this should work with the entire Savage Model 6/7 and Springfield 87 family)

First, we begin with the mount base, this is a Weaver part #48402. However to accommodate the factory screws, the inner holes had to be widened--this is where a drill press really came in handy

As an aside, those screws are non-standard and REALLY hard-to-find!

Next, the base mounted on the rifle, to the right you can see the holes and stock cutout from Bubba's aperture sight. Also note that the bottom was shaved a bit--this was to ensure a tight fit with the scope mount.

Now here is where it REALLY gets interesting. This is the mount I chose, Weaver side-mount long-base part #49340

The problem was that the rings were too low to mount the scope I bought for this project, a Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x23AO Model 511072. The front bell needed more clearance. My original idea was to grind off the built-in rings entirely and mount the rings to the base itself using shims. My brother-in-law had a better idea--reshape the built-in rings into dovetails instead!

Anyway, after putting it togehter, the result is breathtaking. The rest of the attachments show it from different angles. Most impressive is how the mount is canted and almost centers the scope (since I am cross-eye dominant, it centers nicely). What makes this even more impressive is my brother-in-law did this all without the rifle in-hand.

After troubleshooting a feeding problem, I took it to the NRA range in Fairfax Virginia. The scope is easy-to-see and group size is more affected by the unusual trigger than the sights now. This has made all the difference in shooting

·
Silver Bullet member
37,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anyone refresh or repost or furnish the pictures that were with this post, trying to scope an old rimfire. Thanks.
I tried in the past, never worked. Going to try renaming them. The trick is to remove the built-in rings for the smaller scope and make them dovetail mounts.

As an aside, the same setup swaps right over to a H&R Model 65 that someone drilled for the same Weaver sidemount base.

Do I need to re-caption these?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.