Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something about them just speaks to me. There's hardly a one that's not notably sexy or beautiful or exotic in appearance.

I'm thinking mainly .308, but arguably the granddaddy of them all was the FG42 in 7.92x57, and how many here have a SIG PE 57 in 7.5 Swiss on their grail list?

I am asking (and hoping) for an extensive rebuttal, but there's a fairly small number of entries in this class. I think I can name all the platforms I know off the top of my head, starting with the big three, M-14, G3 and FAL.

Other families:
BM-59
SIG 510
AR10
Valmet
Galil
Howa 64 (no exports)
CETME* (G3 dupe?)
Others I forgot/don't know about

I don't really count transitionals like the FN 49.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well I do love a good battle rifle the 1 thing I want to point out and I think you were angling toward it the CETME came before the G3. Granted if I recall it was done by Mauser or at least German engineers.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
51,291 Posts
missed out on a mint , as in new in the box AMT a few years ago,
did snag one for my brother, so there is at least one in the family,

ditto the PE57, we had one in inventory back in the 90's, but I let it slip out before I could nab it,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh the "ones that got away!" The pain, the pain!

Is it still possible to get decent FAL and G3 clones? At a higher price-point ;-) SMG is still planning a run of FG42s late winter maybe, so grabbers aside it may still be possible to put this on your wall:

You too could be Paco. :D

Hey, they're a lot cheaper than cars.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I do love a good battle rifle the 1 thing I want to point out and I think you were angling toward it the CETME came before the G3. Granted if I recall it was done by Mauser or at least German engineers.
Right - Germans first, then Spanish with a confusing sub-power round, and then das Gewehr Drei. (I don't know if anyone calls it that. ;-) )
I should know but don't whether modern CETMEs (meaning 1960s and on?) are functionally the same as G3s in that they can swallow a lifetime of NATO rounds just like a G3 (think so). I should also know but don't if there is any parts interchangeability (little or none?). Ditto their little .223 brothers.

·
Registered
17,593 Posts
I got some and don't got some, but of those I don't got, I don't realistically expect to get them . If I had to
toss one thing up on the wall and say I got to have it , its out of reach but dammit I want it ...Johnson Light Machine Gun.

Very highly thought of by First Special Service Force vets I know from WWII.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Nice collection but how did that M14 sneak in there? Other than my Garand here’s my other .30 cal ‘battle’ rifle.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I currently own an IMBEL FAL, which I like a great deal.
I previously owned a Springfield Armory M1a Match (not National Match) which I did some work on bringing t up to darn near M-21 specs. Mostly from the USMC accurizing manual I located. I liked it, but think of it as being a generation behind the FAL, which evolved from the FN-49, which to me is the direct comparison to the M-14.
I tried a friends H&K But disliked it for a couple of reasons. Mostly the horrible "BOINGNGNGngngngngn" ever time I fired it. :ROFLMAO:
I've fired an Fg42, but did not own one. It was the first model & I must be deformed because I liked the sharply angled pistol grip & the magazine not gouging into the left forearm.
There was a certain something about that time, rifles, cars & motorcycles all shared a "look" that is just moving fast even standing still.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I deliberately did not try to define "battle rifle." :) .30 caliber of course, generally post war (sire of the breed FG42 the exception). In my mind they all use a detachable 20 round magazine and tend to have a pistol grip; I inlcuded the M-14 so my definition doesn't require a pistol grip.

I'm also a big Johnson LMG fan.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
There was a certain something about that time, rifles, cars & motorcycles all shared a "look" that is just moving fast even standing still."
Exactly! It was the firearms version of the "mid-century modern" look in architecture and interior design.

There was a little "The Jetsons" in there too, but that applies more to assault rifles.

It's a different kind of look, but with that stump of a folding stock and the big long handgaurd, to me the H&K 91A3 always resembled some kind of exotic "space pistol." :D

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Fusil semi-automatique 49/56 7.5x54mm--used by French army from early 1960s through the adoption of the 5.56mm FAMAS bullpup...

SVT-40? detachable magazine, although only three were issued per rifle in normal circumstances, and these are horrendously expensive like much else for the rifle.

M1 Garand: What an awesome rifle!--Ancestor of your BM-59 and M1A/M14 self-loaders....

Mauser engineers who'd worked on the roller-locking system went to Spain where they helped design the CETME, initially for an 7.92x40mm prototype cartridge and later for a dimensionally similar 7.62x51mm cartridge of reduced power (like the Howa 64), but later 7.62mm Nato. Others were held by the French and helped design roller locking for them, although these design efforts didn't produce an issue service rifle in that regard. Later, the G3 was adopted by the Bundeswehr after 1955 and the initial use of the FAL as the "G1." The G3 in turn was widely used: Norway, Portugal (mfr.), Sweden (AK4), some by France, Denmark, Turkey (mfr.), Saudi, Zaire and pretty much all of sub-Saharan Africa, Pakistan (mfr.), Iran (mfr.), Mexico (mfr.), Colombia, Greece (mfr.), El Salvador, and on and on.

Personally, while I liked firing one at a range, I'm glad I did not have to carry it on a very, very long hike/ foot-slog. Recoil is a bit stiff, and the trigger pull is very heavy. I like the HK sights. Ergonomics were not very good, at least for me. They always seemed overpriced to me? The CETME is very similar but uses different sights. Since many were built up from parts kit, the receiver would be a major concern... Particularly if done by Century Arms? Good luck with your collection!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The G3 in turn was widely used: Norway, Portugal (mfr.), Sweden (AK4), some by France, Denmark, Turkey (mfr.), Saudi, Zaire and pretty much all of sub-Saharan Africa, Pakistan (mfr.), Iran (mfr.), Mexico (mfr.), Colombia, Greece (mfr.), El Salvador, and on and on.

I became aware of this rifle not long before the "Death to the Shah" days of 1978-80. For months we watched G3s on the nightly news being waved by mobs occupying and surrounding the US embassy. Cool guns were a rare diversion in all that.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is it still possible to get decent FAL and G3 clones?

Yes.

The G3 clones are harder to find. The markets seems to have snapped up all the new ones.

You can order a new DS Arms FN-FAL 21" service rifle from the manufacturer:

·
Registered
10,403 Posts
There is also the Italian Tipo 2 and the US Navy Garands.

I've had a couple CETME and HK rifles. Just never could like them. To me they feel clunky.

Do have or had the followiing:

Navy Garand Mk2 Mod1
Tipo 2
FAL
BM 59
M14 clone
FN48 in 7mm and 8mm

I would like to get my hands on an early style AR 10.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
A friend of mine put down a deposit on one of the mud brown Indonesian ones. He never went back to collect it because he suddenly realized he didn't want to dump 1250 on it!
ARGHHHhhhh!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts