Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMHO, for $300 plus shipping plus possible FFL transfer fees, it better be a really, really nice pistol.

I paid less for an excellent condition BS made in 1969.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I bought one on Friday and they offered a $10 hand select for crisp clear markings so I got that as well. I will have it on Tuesday and will post extensive pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,929 Posts
they definately keep climbing in price..... i have one my dad paid 30 something dollars for many years ago.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
When these Bulgarian Star B pistols hit the market 7 or 8 years ago, they were $149 each. The last batch through about 3 or 4 years ago were $199 each. Now $299!! I guess it is inflation ----

·
Registered
93 Posts
Egad, the one I got from Dan's for $249 that looks about the same as the one in their picture. For that price you should get clear markings without forking over $10 extra.

I have seen a couple non-refurbs at recent shows for around $250.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I bought one from Coles a few years ago...$199 Vg/exc condition. I am very happy with it.

·
23,298 Posts
Well, AIM must be moving these at $299 - I was set up at a gunshow this past weekend and had 3 different folks say they just got one from AIM; they are all looking for spare Model B magazines now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bob In St. Louis,

The mag situation is pretty dim I think.

I just sold all the Star B mags I had spare to my needs. I had advertised them here and on several other boards for like $20-25 each and no one wanted to buy them over the last year and half. They weren't easy to find and I had to buy a bunch to get a decent price (other than the $30 I had found them for). I ended up selling them all to one person at a good price as I was tired of having them around. They were from the Bulgarian lot and had the electropenciling on the back rib. One had a Welded baseplate, all the rest had removable baseplates, all marked "Star".

Someone is making an aftermarket mag now that's $30 each I've seen, but who wants that when you can get a real Star Mag?

Edit to Add, it's Triple K making mags:

http://www.triplek.com/Pages/Magazines/index.cfm/gun_magazine_detail/1433

I think these guns didn't have that many spare mags made other than 2 per gun. Unlike our military that made millions for Colt 45's(probably 25+ per pistol or more), other countries didn't seem to do the same thing, and there simply isn't that many spares around.

Anyway, if people want genuine Star mags, they should buy them while they still can be found, as eventually they'll dry up and there's not going to be anymore factory mags, barring a miracle.

Even if I get a pistol with two mags, if I like the pistol, like the Star I have, I try and pick up an extra mag or two if I'm going to shoot it much.

JW

·
Registered
351 Posts
Reviving the zombie thread because we all got the email today from AIM...
I'm a recent C&R collector, but what's so significant about this weapon that it's worth $400?

I'm not one to get all excited about C&R eligibility- it only costs me $30 for an FFL transfer..

Since I can purchase (another) brand new CZ-75B for $100 more, or thereabouts, I'd be hard pressed to drop that kind of coin on a 60 year old pistol that probably doesn't even compare in quality.

What's the reason this weapon's worth $400?

·
Copper Bullet member
204 Posts
I am considering pulling the trigger on one of these. I have seen this thread previously- 4 years ago they were $299, 4 years before that they were $199. So, $100 increase every 4 years seems about right. Throw in the free shipping and avoiding FFL transfere fee for C&R holders- I don't think it is a bad deal.

If you look on GunBroker, ratty ones are going for at least $400 now.

·
Registered
351 Posts
More specific info?

I'm of the opinion that many milsurps are overpriced, I don't think prices should go up every year "just because"...
Many people thought the same thing about houses...

But that's a different discussion. I don't know anything about them, other than it's an old pistol.

What is the level of quality?
Accuracy?
Reliability with different types of ammo?
Rarity?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well you have to look at what it is. It is a 9mm single stack "1911 type" full sized pistol. the quality isn't bad and these are Russian arsenal refurbs so they should be in pretty good condition. What are these going for these days?

I would much rather them have been BMs instead

More specific info?

I'm of the opinion that many milsurps are overpriced, I don't think prices should go up every year "just because"...
Many people thought the same thing about houses...

But that's a different discussion. I don't know anything about them, other than it's an old pistol.

What is the level of quality?
Accuracy?
Reliability with different types of ammo?
Rarity?
Quality is very good. The Spanish are accomplished firearm makers.

Accuracy should be a bit better than a BM. My BM will make a ragged hole about 3 inches at 21 feet.

Reliability with ammo determines on the actual fit and finish of the gun. Every gun I get I polish feeding ramps and whatnot. The Star pistols are not exempt from this. I had a model B years ago that would feed everythign but the light (115 grain) hollow points with a straight taper bullet design.

Rarity... well they don't make them anymore.

IHTH

·
23,298 Posts
I don't know where this Russian refurb garbage keeps coming from! These pistols are out of a Bulgarian arsenal, via a dealer in Germany. They have nothing to do with Russia, but this seems to be a persistent myth. if they were coming from Russia, they wouldn't be able to be imported into the US due to Clinton's Executive Order against military surplus arms import direct from Russia!

·
Registered
12 Posts
AIM surplus said:
WWII Star Model B 9mm Pistols. Manufactured in Spain between 1943-44 as part of a 15,000 piece contract for Bulgaria. These pistols feature original Wartime Factory Markings. They were refinished by the Russians after WWII as was common practice with firearms they obtained during & after the War. These are very nice Pistols as pictured. They will have checkered wood or black synthetic grips. Some markings may be lighter due to the refinishing. Almost identical design to the 1911. Includes 1-8rd magazine.
I got it from their website but didn't say that's where they were coming from.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts