Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know when this gas escape hole was added to the left side of the receiver ring on the Spanish Model 93 Mausers? It is not on factory made actions and must have been done while the rifle was in use. Would this gas escape hole be in rifles used in the Spanish American War, or was it drilled in later on?
Thank you!
Greg

·
Registered
21 Posts
None of the Spanish-American war era rifles that I have seen have had the gas escape port. It is my understanding that the gas port was a later addition. Either it was a later receiver mfg with the port, or an older action refurbished with the port added.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Model 93 Spanish gas port

Thank you. As the Model 1916 short rifles had these, I would assume that they were added about that time. I have a German made '93 that has the crest scrubbed and the port added to the left side over the serial number. As that number was obliterated, a new number was crudely stamped over the printing in the left feceiver rail. I have an 1897 made Oviedo Model '93 that does not have the port. This latter would be more likely the type used in the SA War I would bet.
Greg T.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts