Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a nice old carbine in 25-20. The saddle ring is missing, but the piece that holds it (Numrich calls it a stopper) is still on the receiver. Assuming I can come up with a ring, does that stopper just pull out? Thanks.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Its a staple ,and its staked on the inside.You can get them out but there is risk to damage it or receiver. Guy on eBay has NOS leftover Winchester rings pre 64 . You open ring,install through staple and close.

·
Registered
892 Posts
You can buy a new ring from Jack First Gun Parts for about $8. I recently got one for my 94 SRC. There are tricks to installing the ring without leaving a gap, but with some patience, it's not too hard.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Bear in Texas (user) Gunbroker /EBay sells what he says were left over saddlerings from a sub contractor WRA used .They are slightly open . They look excellent and measure correct size.

Attachments

·
Registered
672 Posts
Even if you remove the Staple from the frame,,then you would have to open up the Staple a small amt to allow the ring to enter the U portion of the Staple. Then close the Staple back up and reinsert it back in the frame.
The Staple has small flared portions on the two legs of the U where they sit on the frame. That keeps the Staple from dropping into the Frame too far. It also keeps the ring from going onto the Staple unless you spread the Staple apart somewhat.

As long as the Staple is secure, just spread the ring, attach it to the Staple and close up the ring.
If you want to, while the ring is spread apart brighten up the edges of the ring that come together.
When you close it back up drop a dot of soft solder flux on the joint and with a soldering gun run some solder down into the joint.
Soft pencil lead scrub the outside surfaces of the ring all around the joint before soldering and none of the solder will adhere to the ring other than down on that joint betw the ends of the ring.
Overkill,,I know,, but if you want to..

Punching the Staple out is simply that, a punch and hammer job. But you have to take the frame all apart to get at the inside wall where the stub feet of the staple are.
I forget which screw or part holes you go thru on the Winchester to get at their Saddle ring Staple. The MArlin is the same idea and you go thru the hammer screw hole and right thru the empty space where the square bolt is removed.
Restaking place the staple on a lead block while in place and re-stake with a chisel point inside. I usually add a dot of SuperGlue or Green LocTite to each stud.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Rings and the Staple can be made from round steel stock.
The ring simply clamp the round stock to an appropriate size mandrel.
I used an old damaged large threading tap, the shank of it happened to be the right size to form the ring.

Then heat the round stock red and wind it around the mandrel one + turns.
Then hack-saw the 'ring' off the stock by slicing through the material where it overlaps itself.
I silver soldered (hard solder) this one together at the joint.

The staple is best turned on a lathe. I think I started with 1/4" dia here.
Turn the shape to allow for the U shape, the flared supports and the stub 'feet' that enter the frame.

Everything gets polished up nice and then the Staple spread open just a bit to allow the ring to be inserted. Then close the staple. Blue it or 'age it' appropriately before placing it in the frame.
Place the asssembly in the frame and stake in place from the inside.

This one is from a Marlin 1893 project.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,755 Posts
Rings and the Staple can be made from round steel stock.
The ring simply clamp the round stock to an appropriate size mandrel.
I used an old damaged large threading tap, the shank of it happened to be the right size to form the ring.

Then heat the round stock red and wind it around the mandrel one + turns.
Then hack-saw the 'ring' off the stock by slicing through the material where it overlaps itself.
I silver soldered (hard solder) this one together at the joint.

The staple is best turned on a lathe. I think I started with 1/4" dia here.
Turn the shape to allow for the U shape, the flared supports and the stub 'feet' that enter the frame.

Everything gets polished up nice and then the Staple spread open just a bit to allow the ring to be inserted. Then close the staple. Blue it or 'age it' appropriately before placing it in the frame.
Place the asssembly in the frame and stake in place from the inside.

This one is from a Marlin 1893 project.

Nice work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts