560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
Prez1981
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
871 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2007 : 2:47:51 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, if 10,218 Model 90 carbines were produced for/sold to Bulgaria prior to 1897, does anyone know if they bore any specific markings like the Model 88 rifles did? Has anyone heard of any Bulgarian marked M90's turning up stateside? I know of M90's with eagles on the barrel and receiver but devoid of Wn or Bp markings, but don't think it is appropriate to assume that they were part of the Bulgarian contract. Can anyone shed any light on the Bulgarian M90 carbines?

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2007 : 4:18:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by Prez1981

.. Can anyone shed any light on the Bulgarian M90 carbines?

I will ask my fellow Bulgarian collectors, but it will take some time. The problem with them is that the ownership of multiple guns in Bulgaria requires a "collector's license", which, I was told, is very hard to get and very few of them have it. The local definition of an antique weapon is anything made prior to 1870, but there is a really bad catch there - if "ammunition cannot be obtained", which leaves the door wide open to any a$$hole's in charge interpretation. The result is that they all hide their guns and don't show anything in public places such as the Internet. So I have to inquire personally, which will take some time.

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

Edited by - Nick on 07/30/2007 4:30:21 PM

Prez1981

USA
871 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2007 : 4:49:27 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. In particular, I was wondering if they are also marked with the Bulgarian lion, which would be an easy way to differentiate them.
Thanks again.

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2007 : 7:54:46 PM

In all my days of collecting WWI weapons, I have never run accross a M90 that was marked and accepted any any way by Bulgaria. We have seen the pictures of them in pre-WWI times but never any info on markings. I believe that they had none. The rifles bought by Bulgaria after the First Bulkan War went through a third party and were in turn marked when accepted by Bulgaria. I have 2 of them. Both marked by Austria and then by Bulgaria. They were Austrian 86/90's.

dg13

PS It would be great to find out if they had some consistant acceptance markings!!!

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 07/30/2007 : 8:49:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dg13

...They were Austrian 86/90's....

Actually, the question was about the M.90 carbines. But your observation on the M.90 infantry rifles is very interesting, indeed. I have to concentrate on these a bit more.

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/08/2007 : 7:07:57 PM

I have an M90 carbine that has the Bulgarian Lion stamped on the right hand side of the receiver and the barrel. I assume this is what you are looking for, would you like pics?
Mc

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/08/2007 : 9:14:26 PM

Yes, please!

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/09/2007 : 6:48:53 PM

Here are a couple of snaps of my Bulgarian M90 carbine. As you can see there are three lions stamped into it, one on the top of the chamber, one on the side of the receiver and one on the side of the barrel. Does the 1099 signify the date it was accepted by the Bulgarians?
Mc

Download Attachment:
61.35 KB

Download Attachment:
61.72 KB

Download Attachment:
62.62 KB

Download Attachment:
62.98 KB

Download Attachment:
61.34 KB

Download Attachment:
61.7 KB

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

dg13

USA
822 Posts
Posted - 08/09/2007 : 8:50:34 PM

You have a very rare carbine! Thanks for showing it. I've never seen one before. It is marked about the same way a Bulgarian rifle is marked. Ashame it was converted to 8x56R but hey I would love to own it!
dg13

"One Nation UNDER GOD"
"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/09/2007 : 9:08:00 PM

Thanks! That's how a Bulgarian collector described his. I am jealous, jealous!

Prez1981

USA
871 Posts
Posted - 08/10/2007 : 12:14:51 PM

I agree! That is an exceedingly rare carbine. I would assume that the 1909 is the Bulgarian SN, as Bulgaria was receiving M95 carbines by that date.
Thanks for sharing those pictures!

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/10/2007 : 12:39:42 PM

Glad to be able to provide some eye candy for you guys! I didn't realize
these were that rare. Got this about seven years ago from this board.
Mc

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/10/2007 : 3:58:51 PM

I almost bought one like yours - S-convertion and in a M.95 stock with a M.95 bolt & magazine, but was a bit late. I may have missed it for good as the correct M.90 stock, bolt & magazine are unobtainable and the struggle to find them would have been unbearable...

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2007 : 11:27:33 AM

It is in an original stock, if the only difference in the bolt is the cocking piece I have one. What is the magazine difference? Any pics available?
Thanks,
Mc

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2007 : 12:45:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mc

It is in an original stock, if the only difference in the bolt is the cocking piece I have one. What is the magazine difference? Any pics available?
Thanks,
Mc

Not only is the cocking piece different, the bolt body is different (although interchangeable with M.95). The magazine has a different follower assembly:

Download Attachment:
136.71 KB

Download Attachment:
137.04 KB

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2007 : 7:56:47 PM

Nick,
Thanks for the pictures and information. How is the bolt different? What would I look for??
Mc

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

Nick

USA
1151 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2007 : 9:38:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mc

Nick,
Thanks for the pictures and information. How is the bolt different? What would I look for??
Mc

The bolt body follows the curvature of the receiver:

Download Attachment:
114.46 KB

Download Attachment:
114.68 KB

Mc
Gold Bullet Club

USA
476 Posts
Posted - 08/11/2007 : 10:04:21 PM

To quote William Holden, "Ach soo!". Now I know what to look for. Appreciate it.
Mc

Ex-ASA-98G2LRU
NRA Life Member

1 - 1 of 1 Posts