Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just showed me his new purchase, it's a 1956 dated rifle that he just payed $1500 for. It has a great bore and also came with the Redfield 4-18x scope its wearing a Marbles No 174 22rimfire chamber insert and a beautiful condition Lyman target spot 10x scope. What do you all think?

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Before you fire even one shot please give the barrel a good cleaning. I suspect that your rifle could really benefit from a good cleaning. He bought a rifle quiet similar to yours and the 220 swift was the speed demon of that time. Cleaning his rifle was the last thought in his mind. So shoot it he did. aftrer a couple months he came to me and said it doesn't shoot as well as when I first got it. That rifle took alittle over a week and a half cleaning out all the jacket fouling and carbon fouling in the barrel. I used bore brushes,patches solvents and JB bore copound. Got to the point that nightly cleanings turned into nightly soakings.Cork up the breech end, fill the barrel with solvent and cork the muzzle end. Great big lumps of jacketed fouling as well as the powder fouling. We didn't have the bore cleaning solvents that we have today. JB compound was the life saver. Made up a bore guide out of some plastic I had on hand. Always kept getting green on the patches. Even tried Sweets to at lease get the copper fouling. helped but seemed at times weren't making any progress.Used the JB compound on a bore brush with a tight patch. Your rifle may not be in as bad condition but a good cleaning won't hurt. Frank

·
Registered
484 Posts
A friend of mine just showed me his new purchase, it's a 1956 dated rifle that he just payed $1500 for. It has a great bore and also came with the Redfield 4-18x scope its wearing a Marbles No 174 22rimfire chamber insert and a beautiful condition Lyman target spot 10x scope. What do you all think? View attachment 3755638 View attachment 3755639 View attachment 3755640 View attachment 3755641 View attachment 3755642
A Super Grade M70 with two great scopes for $1500?? He committed un armed robbery.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll tell him about the bore but he already tore the rifle apart and cleaned it stem to stern and he went to the range with it and put a few rounds through it. As for the un armed robbery, I know and so does he but he asked the guy what he wanted and $1500 was the number. My friend did say that that his wallet almost caught fire as he pulled it out of his pocket.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
This thread scratched the scab off of a sore spot that I, and I'm sure many others, have long suffered with. The rifle bore from hell that just won't come clean. All of the OP's efforts are tried and true and I've used them all and some others I won't admit to in polite company. Three of the most notorious usual suspects were Swifts, problem children from birth, all. Those three caused the loss of countless hours of effort and $$$ of treasure. And there are others of their kind still to be delt with. A 722 in .222 reamed to .22-250 is laughing at me from the corner as I type this. Indeed, there isn't any rest for the wicked.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,652 Posts
Not a Winchester collector, but a Super Grade in .220 with the other items - yeah, if somebody offered at $1500, I'd have gone for it, no fear.

Be interesting to know how it shoots. The great bore may not be, then again, may be fine, only the shooting will tell. I would say that if a bore is badly copper-fouled, the BEST way to get it properly cleaned is electrolysis. Then lap it and keep it god by cleaning properly after every range session. But then, I'm preaching to the choir about cleaning up after high-intensity rounds.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
Have two rifles that literally drove me nuts in getting clean. Win 1895 saddle ring carbine in 30-40 Krag. And a Canadian property marked martini in 22rf. The 1895 was made in 1915 and hadn't been cleaned since the year of the flood. That old cupro nickle jacket fouling was like big lumps on the rifling. The martini was the only 22rf rifle that I ever saw with large amounts of leading and copper fouling. Even using 22 centerfire brushes those the leading was still there. I had just swapped out the bubba'd cocking lever with another and wanted to check where the firing pin struck the rim. Had an old box of Montgomery Ward 22 ammo so went out back and put about 10 rounds down the tube. All showed a proper firing pin strike. Back in the house and ran a few patches and a couple passes with a bore brush. Dry patched and checked the barrel. Spotless. No leading nor copper plated fouling. Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.