·
Gold Bullet member
11,835 Posts
Beautiful example! Congrats!

Reactions: mriddick

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Great looking and talk about build!! looks like it will drill tacks. Imagine the cost today if still made the same way. Wood alone would set ya back.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Not the same model but reminds me of shooting my buddies 320B I believe years back. Came with target peep sight and great trigger. Believe it cost around $45 in the late 60s or early 70s.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,835 Posts
Mike:

I’m curious about the sale price if you care to share.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mike:

I’m curious about the sale price if you care to share.
$300 OTD, I know that's probably on the high side but I wanted one complete and in as good as shape as I could get. Plus it matches my 151 M I posted in the other thread, right down to the sling they put on them (less the scope of course :)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,835 Posts
$300 OTD, I know that's probably on the high side but I wanted one complete and in as good as shape as I could get. Plus it matches my 151 M I posted in the other thread, right down to the sling they put on them (less the scope of course :)
Thanks for sharing. I think you did well. 👍

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Long ago, adopted orphan, "No. 46B", Mossberg. Not particularly knowledgeable, but I liked the 'man sized' stock which fit quite well. I've wondered if that stock with "Bishop" butt plate was some factory original variation. Perhaps someone here to comment. Also, the scope holes assumed non-original. Any info what mount likely & appropriate scope?

I'm mostly into high power bolt rifles and never focused much on .22. This Mossberg seems to shoot fine, but only function check since no 'hind-sight' included! :) $50 from gun show stroller maybe several decades ago dollars! Now, 'hindsight', pretty good deal!
Best & thanks!
Pix below.
John
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have never seen a Bishop butt plate on a Mossberg. Havlins may also have a front sight hood for you. It looks like that front sight is otherwise complete. Push down on the front spring to select which post you want. If the tension is lacking in the spring to hold the post firm there are fixes.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good snag

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Thanks for the information re mine, above! The thing I like best is the hefty man-sized & so dimensioned stock. Just doesn't seem "factory", but from what I'm understanding here, it is! I'd assumed that buttplate correct as Bishop aftermarket stock! Most .22 standard factory rifles, a bit small for me. This one 'fits'!
Again, Thanks!!!
John

·
Gold Bullet Member
535 Posts
Iskra’s 46B looks like a 146B I once had. Not aware of the Bishop buttplate. Is it metal? My buttplate was plastic.

My first rifle was a Mossberg 146B with the round bolt handle. Dad bought it for me used for $13 from a rural hunting-fishing store in 1957 when I was in 7th grade and a member of a DCM Jr. Rifle Club. Put at least 50 rounds through it every week for six years. The DCM supplied free Winchester, Remington, Peters and Canadian Canuck standard velocity .22LR ammo. The Canuck was horrible with its greasy coating. The Club resold the ammo for 60 cents per 50 round box. I think .22s were 80 cents to a dollar a box in the local hardware and sporting goods stores. The money was used to cover match fees for our Club when we went to away matches. I was making 50 cents/hr. helping my uncle clean carpets.

Was competitive with the Mossberg. Came from the wrong side of the tracks. Laughed at by the Winchester and Remington crowd for my Mossberg. It was good enough to shoot better than most of them. Good enough my senior year to win the Army Reserve Junior Match in a county of 425,000 population. Also great for shooting starlings attacking the pear orchard and groundhogs attacking the garden.

Later when I was in College, the NRA changed to the International Target. Rifle had half minute sights. Shoot a nine at nine o’clock. Put on one right click. Shoot a nine at three o’clock. Half minute clicks did not cut it on the new target. Traded it and $60 (Lot of money then when making $1.25/hr.) for Remington 513T with quarter minute sights. Shoot a nine at nine o’clock. Put on one right click. Shoot a ten.

Still have the 513T. My son learned to shoot on the 513T and the Springfield M1A. He is a Green Beret Lieutenant Colonel.

Thank you for sharing mrridick. Good buy. I’ve seen Mossbergs, not counting the ones the CMP sold, at various gun shows over the years and they all were missing the front sight hood. Were in the $300-$400 range. Lot of stock scratches and dings and rusted metal. All missing red and green dots.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I've been looking for a 46B like iskra's for a few years now. I had one as a kid from when my grandpa passed away. When I went to college, my younger brother decided it was his and traded it at a gun store for something else he wanted. I didn't know anything about it until I was back home sometime later and noticed it was gone...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts