Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any of these have birch or beech stocks on them originally?If not were some fitted with birch or beech stocks during a WWII rebuild?

Rifleman

·
Registered
274 Posts
Rifleman, All US M1917's left the various factories with walnut stocks and handguards. I have never seen a WW II era M1917 rebuild, that I thought was authentic,with anything other than a walnut stock. I believe,but have no documentation or proof, that the birch stocks/handguards occasionally seen were of foreign manufacture fitted when the rifles were provided as Lend/Lease or MAP programs. These stocks may then have been imported as surplus and sold commercially,accounting for their showing up on rifles in the US.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
All the WW2 rebuilt 1917s I have seen had all walnut furniture. It's possible some foreign user made up stocks/handguards from lower grade woods but I've not seen any yet.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
i have three distinctly diferent color rifles but i believe they are all walnut , the darkest[P1914 Eddystone] is a case of the finish being very dark on a dark walnut , the midrange [M1917 Winchester] is a nice mellow finish on dark walnut , and the light one [M1917 Remington] is what might look like birch but i believe its just light walnut wood with a very light colored finish

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have a M1917 stock I obtained from Springfield Sporters that is practically yellow. Not being a tree person, I've no idea what kind of wood it it, but it sure ain't any kind of walnut I've ever seen. It has no markings whatsoever. Given that I bought it three decades ago when M1917 rifles went for a lot less $$ than today, I'd speculate its not a reproduction, but a WW2 replacement. Alas, I'm currently away from meine zeughaus, so can't provide photos.

(And no, MJL, the M1917 I sold you doesn't have a yellow replacement stock I dyed brown with stuff from the bottom of the spittoon. That one was gen-u-wine...or so the guy I got it from told me,)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.