Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
Joined
·
8,081 Posts
Between January and May of 1932, the French state weapon factories did a series of tests on steel pieces exposed to rain, salted rain, bathed in water, scratched by leather and so on to see what the effects of these would be. They then treated these surfaces with different kinds of treatments and two different type of phosphatations stood out as excellent possibilities to be used. The first was made by Parker Rust Proof Co, which was introduced in France in May of 1927 under the name of Parcosel, later called as parkérisation and other by a French firm named O.F.A.M. (No more detail about the name exists at this time) named as Ofamisation. A report was put out that said that more tests had to be done on real weapons with real use in the field to determine which would be best for use, in the end parkerization won out. Firearms that treated with these different treatments were marked as PK and OF on the left rear wall of the receiver and other parts. All the firearms stamped OF have barrel dates of 1933 and those marked as PK have barrel dates of 1934 to 1940. The PK marking was only used by any firearms made or re-built by Manufacture Nationale d'Armes de Châtellerault.
The black enamel paint finish used during the interwar period was called Parkolac or Parcolac which was also used by the National Railway Company, SNCF, on railroad steam engines and tenders.

Patrick
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top