Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys ,,got another turk today ..or most of it and i have some questions about it ,,first off i was at a local gunshop in the aera and this complete barreled receiver was sitting in a corner with a conciderable amount of surface rust collecting dust,,when i asked what he new about it he said it was an old mauser and if i wanted it 20 bucks ,,brought it home and after some cleaning it turned out to be what i think is a 1893 turkish long rifle ..barrel looks very shootable metal i good+ for a 1933 rifle ,,typical mismatch bolt but all other parts appear matching ,,import stamped by our friends at CAI and stamped "m1893 german 8mm"lol..lol.. still has the turkish markings on the receiver rail and receiver is stamped T.C then a star above a moon AS.FA ANKARA 1933,,the top of the receiver is cut for the 8mm round ,,the cutoff box is present but the cutoff handle looks like it was removed ,,the barrel doesn't look as though the turks took it off with a pipe wrench and is numbered to the receiver which is 422,,site is also matching numbered there are some turkish markings on the right side of the receiver and also on the bolt release ,,floorplate only has a moon on it as are small parts on the bolt ,,bolt number is 621,,it has a 6 pointed star above the recoil lug ,,and moons on the trigger and a 5 pointed star on the front site ,,,,so my questions ,,would this be a medium action mauser ? anbody got any donor wood out there?would it be concidered a 1903 or a 1893 converted to 8mm,,also it's marked 7.90 above the chamber ,,i though most were marked 7.92 when they were converted,,Thanks and i can post some pics if anybody wants to see them ..thanks in advance guys
crazy

·
Administrator
9,626 Posts
Yours looks like a stock standard M1893/33 ASFA conversion to 7,9mm Mauser cartridge. The Bore marking "7,90 etc) are the Bore diameter of the barrel before rifling, to give the Armourer an indication to check wear of the barrel at later inspections. Turk barrels have from 7,90 to 7,93 usually ( although some 7,94 have shown up).

There are three variants of the M1893/33 Rifle: Var.#1:- Straight gripped stock, Cutoff box still on RHS if action; Var#2, Pistol gripped stock (M1903 style) still with Cutoff Box on RHS of action; Var#3:- Pistol Gripped stock with Cutoff box milled away...woodwork is then stronger as there is no cutaway to accomodate Cutoff Box.

Turksih script is still very common on M93/33 rifles, whilst the M1903/30 and others are completely scrubbed off, except minor parts.
Bolt are more often than not "mismatched" due to the storage rules in Turkish Barracks and Depots (Bolts separated from rifles).

Regards,
Doc AV
A V Ballistics.
being a 1893 action it is "medium length (or "Intermediate") and Small ring receiver, with a small shank barrel (Common to all "Turkish" mausers)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks doc,,so being the cutoff box is still present i'd need the straight grip stock simular in aperance to the old spanish 93 rifles ? i know the bolts look the same except the turk bolt doesn't have the gas port on the bottom,,thanks again
crazy

·
Silver Bullet member
36,340 Posts
No, some were made with the mag cutoff box in a pistolgrip stock. Every one I bought had a crack or 2 at the corners of the box, likely the reason the box was milled off so stocks without the cutout for the box could be used.
That Spanish gas port was a later addition ( in the 1916's?) The spanish 1893 bolts fit perfectly. Also the bolts and receivers in the Turks, made by Mauser, are so close in tolerances I could swap all of mine without inducing headspace issues.

The 1903 is a 98 type action, gas shield on bolt, usually a charger hump on the rear bridge, and cocks on closing. The firing pin travel is half that of the 1893, so the striker doesn't stick out the back of the bolt nearly as far when the rifle is coocked.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey thanks for the info ,,so how much difference beside the cutoff box are the stocks between the spanish and the turks? 1916-1893? just wandering ..thanks again for the info,,
crazy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts