Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up in a pawn shop last week. Manufactured in 1864, this is a Model 1861 Providence Tool Co. contract musket. Overall its in Very good to very fine condition. Missing the ramrod. I wonder if anyone might have an idea where I could find a correct one, either original or reproduction. Looked around the web but did not have much luck.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
It looks like a nice original musket. The stock doesn't appear to have ever been sanded and it aparently has a piece of the original sling still attached. Original rods are nearly impossible to find. A well done replica will suffice when displaying it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
The M1855 and M1861 ramrods are identical. they have a thin shank and a "swell" a couple of inches behind the head. If you look at thye underside of thye forestock you will see where the ramrod channel widens right behind the nosecap.

To save money, I would order a good quality replica M1861 ramrod rather than an original. If you handle it any, it will soon develop an original looking "patina."

By the way, Providence Tool Company delivered slightly over 70,000 M1861 rifle muskets to the Yankee government between 1862 and 1865 during the War of Northern Aggression.

What is not well known about Providence Tool Company is that in the post-war era they stayed in the gun business. They won the largest single contract ever awarded to a private gun company when Turkey ordered 650,000 Peabody-Martini Rifles from them.

Ironically, Providence Tool Company finally went bankrupt in 1917 because they failed to win any contracts for firearms during the height of World War I !!! OOPS! They must have had a lousy sales department by then!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts