Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I wasn't sure if I should have posted this here or on the US arms forum. But I've had this musket for quite some time. I know it's hard to give a price on things when you don't have it in hand, but I would like to have some advice on the value. I was thinking about selling or trading it. But I usually have a hard time getting rid of stuff. So let know what you guys think and if I need extra photos I'll try and post more.
Wood Grass Asphalt Road surface Groundcover
Grass Wood Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades
Insect Wood Trunk Grass Arthropod
Brown Wood Bumper Line Wall
Leaf Wood Trunk Rectangle Brick
Wood Grass Rectangle Wood stain Automotive exterior
Brown Vertebrate Wood Font Wood stain
Brown Wood Brick Wall Rectangle
Wood Bicycle part Twig Shotgun Gun accessory
Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Reactions: desi23 and huntsky

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More photos
Automotive lighting Wood Door Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plank Trunk
Wood Cylinder Metal Electric blue Natural material
Wood Cylinder Nickel Gun accessory Metal
Brown Wood Wood stain Metal Pattern
Brown Wood Door Household hardware Metal
Brown Wood Textile Wood stain Close-up
Wood Bicycle part Shotgun Natural material Hardwood
Wood Material property Audio equipment Tints and shades Jewellery
Brown Wood Font Tints and shades Metal

Reactions: desi23

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Few more.
Brown Wood Wood stain Trunk Nail
Wood Automotive tire Terrestrial plant Trunk Grass
Wood Automotive exterior Trunk Wood stain Metal

Reactions: desi23

·
Registered
401 Posts
It’s a percussion conversion and metal finish is pretty rough, as many of these are. But it has a bayonet which is a nice bonus. Retail from a shop is usually high and I’d expect it to have a price tag in the 1k-1500 range. I’d also expect it to be sitting for a long time. I’d expect if you put it on Gunbroker it might only fetch $600 or so. Maybe as much as 800 but I frankly doubt it, and a good chance it sells for less than 6, too. Realistically there’s just not a huge demand for crusty muzzleloaders these days and values have softened a bit since Gettysburg made them more collectible in the 90s-early 2000s.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your opinions. I use to do Civil War reenacting years ago and that's why I picked it up but my interests have changed some what.
I do like how the number 7 is stamped on most of the metal. Not sure what the significance of that is.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
It might be an ok canditate for re conversion to flintlock. That maybe frown on but; this example is in rough enough shape. But then a buyer with that in mind is looking at this for a project. I simply dont see any serious collector value here. A person could probaably shoot it some. Then, old stocks and springs may not stand up to a lot of full charge shooting. My problem is I might be interested to buy a project and as such not ethical for me to hurt you or myslef with numbers online. Then if you do decide to sell, you can run an auction on Gun Broker and that sorts things out quick enough. Set a start point you can live with. Actually, I would like to know if it goes that route.

I agree 7 is an assembly number. Sometimes (usually) the lock parts have a similar number. It would not necessarily be the same 7 , but; some number to prevent hand fitted parts getting mixed up. You might look at the lock. I mean just as a curious owner. These guns take down pretty easy. Two screws on the lock and two on the trigger guard.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,072 Posts
if you do take it down, be careful not to chip any of the wood,
sometimes that will happen if you try to take parts off the wood,

I think Blackpowder gave you a good conservative number, re value,
does the lock work as it should, and is the bore serviceable, as in not pitted up?

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Good point.

That is right be careful (I wish I though to say that) , the lock can be gently tapped out using the 1/2 way loosened screws. And then watch very closely. Also if leaving the lock and pulling the barrel to clean a good idea to back off one turn on the two lock screws.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your opinions. The lock works as it should. Plus I've had the plate out of the wood before. I just don't remember if there's a number on it or not.
The metal on the butt plate and trigger guard is pretty rough, definitely been cleaned heavy with heavy pitting.
Overall it is what it is. I haven't done nothing with it. It just hangs on the wall in my living room.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts