Gunboards Forums banner

Mod 98 blank receiver Depot XII rifle

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Bravo495 
#1 ·
A newer mil surplus collector brought into the shop a blank receiver Mod 98, all matching where it should be. I only had my camera phone and took some quick snaps. Trying to figure out rifles history and the XII stamped on the left side of receiver I did find some info on a Depot or Arsenal XII Mod 98 rifle. The rifle had no import mark. But it had been refinished and no X like a Russian Capture rebuild. He was in a hurry so I did not take the stock off and check for serial numbers. He purchased it as a East German rebuild. I have never seen a blank receiver Mod 98, and it did not appear to be scrubbed and if it was it was very well done.
I would appreciate any information you could provide about this rifle. I only have the pictures I am going to post. Fonts looked correct on all SN parts. He gave $850.00 for the rifle and is planning on keeping it and was also curious if this was a good purchase price. Thanks for you time and input.

See less See more
#5 ·
The rifle appears to be correct, but as you said looks refinished which hurts the value considerably. Worth $850? Yeah, but it's not a killer deal as stock looks sanded too.

The XII district was Mainz-Kastel - this was the 3rd most prolific of the depot built rifles, with at least 6500 made (more as this is the highest serial I have recorded for this depot). The receiver was a Walther made component supplied to the depot system. These receivers were originally supplied to Sauer unmarked who then roll marked S/147, etc on them. The ones Walther sold to the depot system will be unmarked as this one is - it would have an e/359 on the right receiver. The blank receivers show up all over the place, even as late as 1944 on Steyr production.

I cover these well in the next book we are working on, should be for sale in the late spring.

#6 ·
Yes, looks like a 12th district depot rebuild rifle. That should be Mainz-Kastel depot if I recall. These were mostly made up of new armorer replacement spare parts to help get more rifles out to the troops. Can't make out the marking on the right side of the receiver, but that would be a clue to who made that part. More photos needed, especially any markings on the stock at the wrist or elsewhere. Does look to be reblued postwar at some point, maybe very recent from the look.

edit-I see Farb already responded.

#10 ·
Gentleman I greatly appreciate all the great information, Its interesting so I wish it was mine. The collector that brought this rifle in is trying to build a collection of a main battle rifle from each WWI/WWI country involved. I know that once you start it never ends. He is going to join gunboards and maybe he will repost the rifle. I wanted to take wood off but did not have time. The stock was lightly sanded and you could still see eagles and H marked for Army, don't recall seeing any markings at wrist.
Thank you for all you have shared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.