Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple of "newbie" questions:

1) Is it pronounced minute of angle (like time) or minute (like little bitty)?

2) How do you measure the groups?

I understand that it can be 3 or 5 shot groups, but here's the story:

My 91/30 ex sniper with a scout mount (original equipment is too rich for my blood right now) shot its first 3 shot group from 100 yards (after much sighting in at 50). Center to center the widest holes were 1.25 inches apart. If you measure outside to outside it would have been about 1.5 inch group. Which is correct?

If it's 1.25, would it theoretically be able to shoot 10 inch groups at 800 yrs?

Here are pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3105403195/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3105402777/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3111318066/in/photostream/

· Platinum Bullet Member
1,576 Posts
Minute of angle

Pronounced like time. Measure from center to center. 1.25 moa is great from a 91/30! To say that it could shoot into 10in at 800 yds, depends on a lot of different factors. 800 yds is a loooong way out there. Wind, varience in bullets, powder charge, primer, all will mess things up. Even the way you hold the rifle, cheek pressure, can change the point of impact. With my hunting rifles, which I zero at 100yds, when I try a few shots at 200 I have to really concentrate to keep the same moa grouping.

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pronounced like time. Measure from center to center. 1.25 moa is great from a 91/30! To say that it could shoot into 10in at 800 yds, depends on a lot of different factors. 800 yds is a loooong way out there. Wind, varience in bullets, powder charge, primer, all will mess things up. Even the way you hold the rifle, cheek pressure, can change the point of impact. With my hunting rifles, which I zero at 100yds, when I try a few shots at 200 I have to really concentrate to keep the same moa grouping.

Thanks capn...

Not saying I could do it, just wondering if all cirucumstances were right, if that would mean, in theory, that the rifle was mechanically able to do it!

Lends real credibility to the sniper part of ex-sniper! Very cool old gun. Am finding myself very hooked on the history.

Thanks!!

· Registered
152 Posts
Yes theoretically you can, since MOA is a measure of angle extrapolating 1MOA out to 800 yards would give you 8 inch groups, the only thing that will change your groupings are atmospheric factors that affect the bullet in flight like; wind, humidity, elevation (density of air) and maybe the ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Things like powder charge, primer, and the way you hold you rifle does not effect the bullet ones it leaves the barrel, So if you can shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards, you have a good chance of shooting 8 inch groups at 800 yards, assuming you are very good for compensation for all the factors mentioned above, remember a big part in snipping is physiological not just physical, so be confidant and practice a lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.