Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Interesting would be an understatement. Very odd, neat, rare, cool, wtf? Will we ever find out the meaning behind half of the Russian markings?

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
yep, ive seen a couple there and here. Without documentation and/or proven provenance of the meaning MO the sellers asking reserve is way too high (750) thats bolt MM territory.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,851 Posts
Well that's... new. First I've ever seen of anything like this and it's second stamp is '42? Makes no sense, in a historical sense.
I don't recall exactly when the importation of the Russian captured Mausers began (probably 6-7 years ago?), but since that time I believe I have seen reference and photos of perhaps three or four examples online. Of course there could be a few or many more unreported M.O. marked Mausers in circulation, but I believe that the absence of known examples bespeaks their actual scarcity.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Its interesting they didn't re-chamber them to 7.62x54r (think Israelis with the 7.62nato ); one must guess they had a decent supply of 8mm.
Re-chambering in 54R (if it was even possible) would have been very expensive in both time and materials and would have defeated the purpose of reworking these in the first place.

Large quantities of 8mm were likely captured in Poland and the Baltic states, so ammunition was probably not a major concern.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
First MO marked K98 I have ever seen. Very interesting. I knew there were RC marked K98s. I even have one. But there is no MO mark on it. Would the MO marked K98s turn up less often than SCW used K98s? I don't think I have ever seen a SCW K98 in person, but saw one here once.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Does this help establish that M.O. was simply a refurbishment/inspection facility which came into being during the war? i.e. Get this gun back into action ASAP!

The gun does not have the finely polished and refinished metal that we see on later and/or triple dated Mosin Nagants, when the facility would have had more time to spend making them pretty.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.