Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the likelihood of finding a 28/30 that hasn't been shot much and/or has a strong bore? I'm looking at a beautiful rifle - striped stock and 90% or better - but the bore has seen some rounds and the lands are starting to round out but the bore is bright and otherwise the rifling is pronounced. It's priced right.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,088 Posts
They don't show up to often in any condition in my area. If it is a good price then buy it now and hope to upgrade sometime down the road.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
What's the likelihood of finding a 28/30 that hasn't been shot much and/or has a strong bore? I'm looking at a beautiful rifle - striped stock and 90% or better - but the bore has seen some rounds and the lands are starting to round out but the bore is bright and otherwise the rifling is pronounced. It's priced right.
All of my 28/30s have great bores. And a few of them have bores that look like mirrors. The Finns took pride in their rifles so a lot of them are in good shape. Any 28/30 is a good one to have! If your '39 has the matching stock, well done.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
These often show use, lots of firing. Many if not most were used in battle - They should show use. If you found one with nice wood grain, you should be able to get your $$ back when you sell it, should you find an example with excellent rifling.

Pahtu.

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
The mosin 28/30 or a matching Argentine Modelo 1909? Or both?
Depends on if you are a Mauser fan or a Mosin fan. i am a mosin fan, but have handled some nice Argentinian Mausers and the fit and finish and smoothness of them sure makes me respect the time and effort that went into producing them.

Pahtu.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
Sad to say but many 28/30s and M39s that were imported with NICE bores do not look so good after a "shoot and put up" experience by bubba.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,880 Posts
Sad to say but many 28/30s and M39s that were imported with NICE bores do not look so good after a "shoot and put up" experience by bubba.
Sad but true. If you can find one that's somewhat worn but not pitted to oblivion, you may find it's still a great shooter. And you occasionally find one that still has the Finn grease in the bore.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,550 Posts
Being that a large percentage of people here do not shoot out very far. I don't see where bore condition really matters? Even a worn barrel will shoot well at 200 yds? $600 is not a give away price in my mind. But if it calls you go for it, I wouldn't be afraid of the barrel either. Good luck with your choices, Regards, John.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The pain is only beginning....take that C&R license, sprinkle it with holy water and burn it at once, or you will end up like the rest of us here. We all started as "a fan of old rifles!"

As to a $600 28/30 with a weak bore, if top accuracy is required of it, save your money and start shopping the major auction sites as a better one may well turn up at comparable price. $600 is sort of the price for 'em these days, but you might get a better one. Or not.

Offer $500 and be happy if he takes it as a somewhat worn bore doesn't always mean an inaccurate rifle. Unless you can shoot sub 2MOA at 100 yards with iron sights (which I sadly can't do anymore), you may not even notice the difference.
There is a lot more to accuracy than rifling wear and some of my uglier bores shoot very decently.

I am a fan of old rifles. This 03 license is going to break me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Any rifle with an extra fancy stock will always sell for more. I have only passed on one rifle because of the bore. A Finn. 91/30 with Tikka sewer pipe. Worse I have ever seen. On the other hand I took a chance on a nasty barrel on a like new no name no date 28/30 and it cleaned up better than I thought it would. I was able to talk them down another $100 because of the bore.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So, now that the price has gotten ridikalus and guaranteed that I won't be buying, I thought I'd share the link. This thing is so beautiful. I just can't pay this much right now. Congrats to whoever wins it. $880 and counting. Gunbroker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts