Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The average infantry issue MN was zeroed with the bayonet affixed. How were MN sniper rifles zeroed: with or without the bayonet? I know the question sounds stupid because obviously a sniper would not be engaged in close quarters combat unless absolutely necessary.
What I am trying to ask is: are the barrel characteristics (wall thickness, harmonics, etc.) noticeably different from the standard infantry 91/30 or did the factory just do an extra special job on machining the rifle?
I just got my first ex sniper today (43` Ishevsk) and I was curious.

Attachments

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,359 Posts
As far as I know without as the soviets did not issue bayonets with 91-30 sniper rifles. The SVT series of snipers had them and the evetual SVD Dragunov snipers were issued with bayonets as well.

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Do the Soviet Infantry manuals State that the 91/30s were zeroed with the bayonets affixed or is this just the experience some report when trying to get their old rifles on paper?

I always found it hard to belive that they thought the majority of rifle fire would take place with that bayonet hung out there on the rifle.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
As far as I know without as the soviets did not issue bayonets with 91-30 sniper rifles. The SVT series of snipers had them and the evetual SVD Dragunov snipers were issued with bayonets as well.
I do know that a number of the 91/30 snipers they sent to North Vietnam did come with bayonets. I have talked to several vets who came upon crates of the snipers and in the crates were the bayonets. I have one set in my collection.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
9,359 Posts
I was speaking of soviet doctrine not north vietnamese........ Have never seen a photo of a soviet sniper with a bayo on his rifle though ;)

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yes there are pics.
However they seems to be all posed pics, no ones shot in the field.

I guess that the sniper rifles were originally supplied with bayonet, but these, logically were almost never used, and a sniper prefered to carry something like a fighting knife instead of a spike.

I don't think that the rifles were zeroed with bayonet in place.

post pics later.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
If that were not posed in a safe spot I would say he was a fool for exposing himself like that! I have a hard time even believing that the average infantry rifle was zerod with the bayonet in place to be honest. I never shoot any one the hondreds of Mosins I have with the bayonet in place and find great accuracy for a blind old man results without adjustment for the most part. How would that be if they always shot with the bayonet in place? Bill

·
Registered
558 Posts
I read through Soviet manuals on how the sniper rifles were zeroed and the answer is : Without the bayonet. The sniper rifles were zeroed first with open sights without the bayonet and then with the optical sight installed. The idea was that if the optics get damaged then the sniper should be able to fire with open sights.

Sniplex

1 - 11 of 11 Posts