Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry, gents, for having wasted your time with that "great" find. Can only apologize for my inexperience. And thank you for all I could learn again here.
Nothing to apologize for. Better to ask now than to have bought it and realized you spent that much money on a fake!

I've never even heard or seen this kind of real and fake bayonet before! Would be interesting to find one here stateside!

· Registered
2,293 Posts
This sounds to me like "you should try to get it!". However, seller is in Kiev, Ukraine... No idea how this (especially on the background of the turmoils there) will affect sending the item and how to transfer the money. Anybody here with experience in getting items from there?
I have been buying a lot of watches from Ukraine, and I have had no problem with shipping. It generally takes three to four weeks to arrive, much of that sitting in customs in New Jersey,

· Registered
32 Posts
Привет, Comerades!

Это не полковник Gulkeviсh штык. Это украинская подделка! В прошлом году я вижу, что многие pfotos этот штык. Оригинал Gulkeviсh имеют отметку " Акц. ОВО Я.М.АЙВАЗЪ'.

· Administrator
12,494 Posts
Вроде разобрались, что подделка.

· Banned
21,480 Posts
Always on the hunt for rare or uncommon items I sometimes also check auction sites in more "exotic" languages. Today I found a Russian site full of MN bayonets of all kind - including some original Finnish M39s and a handful of M.91s with different scabbards (leather and metal ones). The most interesting item is a Gulkevich bayonet. Price is somewhat on the high side, however - about 625 US$.
Can only assume since the referenced bayo was fake, those M39 Bayos must be fake too!

VA-Vet

· Registered
7,941 Posts
...On a final note, the last legitimate Gulkevich bayonet I saw for sale went for over $4500 U.S.

Warmest regards,

JPS
Were I collecting Mosin bayonets and one this far out of my reach was unavailable as an original I'd consider getting a reproduction, but only if I were paying reproduction prices (All the repro bayonets I've ever seen were <$100).

If this were a functional reproduction Lee Navy I'd snap it at $600. I won't be able to afford an original until my 9 year old graduates from college, if then.

· Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,604 Posts
I've given some thought over the years to manufacture a "REPRO" marked Gulkevich bayonet to display with my "St. Petersburg Cavalry Carbine and perhaps one day I will. I have enough close up photos to create a print by scaling the photos.

I would certainly be interested in purchasing a decent Repro at Repro prices. However, using the repro above as an example, the problem with this approach is whether or not the hunge is in the correct location to fold and store properly with the tip in the side mounted scabbard on the carbine? If I make one myself, I can use my carbine to align the folded bayonet to ensure that the hinge is correctly placed.

Warmest regards,

JPS

· Administrator
12,494 Posts
This folding bayonet will be hard to reproduce on a small scale for less than $100.

· Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,604 Posts
I have always estimated the cost to be about $250 based on using two original socket bayonets plus the fabrication of the hinge along with the welding and light machining. I have lots of connections in manufacturing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.