Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always on the hunt for rare or uncommon items I sometimes also check auction sites in more "exotic" languages. Today I found a Russian site full of MN bayonets of all kind - including some original Finnish M39s and a handful of M.91s with different scabbards (leather and metal ones). The most interesting item is a Gulkevich bayonet. Price is somewhat on the high side, however - about 625 US$.

In KH Wrobel's book I read that rifles which can accept this bayonet are very scarce and special ones (special sort of Cossack carbine).

What do you think - worth that princely sum or not, especially when the chance to fit it one day to the correct rifle is negligible?

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, excellent find!
This sounds to me like "you should try to get it!". However, seller is in Kiev, Ukraine... No idea how this (especially on the background of the turmoils there) will affect sending the item and how to transfer the money. Anybody here with experience in getting items from there?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
This sounds to me like "you should try to get it!". However, seller is in Kiev, Ukraine... No idea how this (especially on the background of the turmoils there) will affect sending the item and how to transfer the money. Anybody here with experience in getting items from there?
It's illegal in Ukraine to send or even buy\sell edged arms. Storage is not prohibited. Very stupid law, but that is what we have
And every bayonet that belongs to army used rifles is an "edged armd"

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's illegal in Ukraine to send or even buy\sell edged arms. Storage is not prohibited. Very stupid law, but that is what we have
And every bayonet that belongs to army used rifles is an "edged armd"
Thanks, Ratnik, for this valuable info. So it could easily end up that a lot of money will be lost without receiving the item in return, because it will be confiscated by customs or something like that?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
So it could easily end up that a lot of money will be lost without receiving the item in return, because it will be confiscated by customs or something like that?
Definitely. Paragraph 263, part 2 of Criminal Code of Ukraine. I would say more, he will be not be able even send it officially, because according tp our Post rules such items are prohibited for sending, and international parcel are acceted by Post in open condition, and are packed by sender in the presence of post worker.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
It's illegal in Ukraine to send or even buy\sell edged arms.
Кромки острые, весь новёхонький, сильно смахивает на новодел...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Кромки острые, весь новёхонький, сильно смахивает на новодел...
"Статья" что за оригинал, что за новодел одинаковая. А так, вполне возможно, слишком подозрительное свежее воронение

7x57 we discussing that maybe you don't lost many - bayonet looks very suspicious

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
"Статья" что за оригинал, что за новодел одинаковая.
Пусть продавец напишет в таможенной декларации - "складной шампур"... Шампур и есть.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Горячая инструмент собака кулинария для костров?

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Горячая инструмент собака кулинария для костров?
Складной шампур = folding skewer

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Never heard, or even seen one of these bayonets before. At least they stamped his name on it. Very interesting. Yet another piece of Russian Mosin related accoutrement to attempt to acquire! However, it sounds like, not from Ukraine.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
However, it sounds like, not from Ukraine.
To me it looks like it was freshly made in Ukraine.

Here is how the real one looks: http://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?f=344&t=448093

Rule of thumb - real stuff costs more in Russia and Ukraine than here. A lot more. You will never, ever buy a genuine article cheap there. That bayonet (the one shown by the topic-starter) was offered for $380 "buy now" (http://webapi.aukro.com.ua/shtyk-na-vintovka-mosina-polk-n-gulkevicha-i4195240621.html). A genuine Gulkevich bayonet will sell for many times that amount in Russia.

PS. Besides the folding bayonet Gulkevich designed the "armored tractor" (two of them, actually):

Now that's what I am looking for!

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,750 Posts
To me it looks like it was freshly made in Ukraine.

Here is how the real one looks: http://popgun.ru/viewtopic.php?f=344&t=448093

Rule of thumb - real stuff costs more in Russia and Ukraine than here. A lot more. You will never, ever buy a genuine article cheap there. That bayonet (the one shown by the topic-starter) was offered for $380 "buy now" (http://webapi.aukro.com.ua/shtyk-na-vintovka-mosina-polk-n-gulkevicha-i4195240621.html). A genuine Gulkevich bayonet will sell for many times that amount in Russia.

Spot on Nick!

I've dealt with several well known legitimate Russian dealers in Moscow over the years, all of whom I have met in person while visiting their shops. While many of the items I have purchased from them either in person or over the web, have been reasonably priced since they were items that are near impossible to find anywhere, however other items that are commonly available here are often astronomically priced in Russia! So much so that when the time comes to liquidate the Collection, some of my rifles that are classified as antiques here in the States, will most likely be sold in the Russian market, depending of course on the status of the import laws in Russia at the time. In the current market, most rare Russian rifles will bring double or triple the highest price that they would possibly bring here in the U.S. market. Most Russians who can afford collections are extremely wealthy.

Valentina reads various news sources in Russia every morning on her tablet. A recent competition was held among Russian sculptors to design and cast a new monumental statue to commemorate the Russian soldiers who dies in WWI. The Great War which was barely mentioned in Soviet History courses has become quite popular in recent years. The last time I was in Moscow they were overhauling the WWI section of the Red Army Museum. Putin's "Greater Russia" has been hailed in a new wave of nationalism.

On a final note, the last legitimate Gulkevich bayonet I saw for sale went for over $4500 U.S.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry, gents, for having wasted your time with that "great" find. Can only apologize for my inexperience. And thank you for all I could learn again here.

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Don't be sorry, discussions on fakes are more useful than the discussions on real stuff. To me at least.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,750 Posts
Roger that Nick!

And never forget 7x57 that in everyone's career in Collecting will vary from one extreme to the other! Once in a while we ALL get burned and when the pendulum swings the other direction, we ALL get lucky from time to time! Always give it your best effort. And always remember.......

The ONLY stupid question is the one that goes unasked!

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Warmest regards,

JPS

1 - 20 of 31 Posts