Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this normal with what appear to be the NN versus HH?

It is a Finn and so marked.

paul

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
NN is a transliteration of the Cyrillic letters "HH". The NN was stamped by the importers to follow US laws, ensuring that the receiver has a serial number.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
The NN4572 on the receiver is probably the importer's transcription of the serial on the barrel shank. The cyrillic'H' equals the Latin alphabet 'N'.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So even without an import mark, the importer changed just the side number to the NN? Seems strange as I thought I had seen Russian Mn91 30s where all the numbers had the anglicized letters added to the numbers? Anyway, with these rifles almost anything goes.

edit: I added this before reading the above extra posts. So by erasing the HH on the side and adding NN it was an ok rifle to import? Well it still is a nice looking rifle.

Thanks for th e help.

paul

Thanks for th e help.

paul

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've seen latin letter stamped on the barrel, especially when the cyrillic letters didn't matching anything in the latin alphabet.

The import mark is probably on the muzzle.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
That is the way the importer marked them.

I have a similarly marked (translated serial number stamped on the receiver)1942 Izhevsk 91-30, which is marked Ф3424 on the barrel, and F3424 on the receiver in the same location as shown in the above pictures. As shown in the translation list a few posts above, the Ф is pronounced F. This particular rifle doesn't have ANY import mark, anywhere. (Unfortunately for me, it does NOT have a Finn [SA], as does the one in the above pictures.)

More serial number fun with nonmatching Cyrillic letters. I have another 1942 Izzy (a 91-30PU clone) whose serial number starts with the Cyrillic HE (Incidentally, HE in the Latin alphabet is the first two letters of my last name.

Cyrillic alphabet HE phonetically translates into the Latin alphabet NY.

The name match was one of the reasons (along wih it being one of two with the better looking bores) why I picked this one out of the ones available at the gun show. There was actually little else to differentiate between the ones I characterized as the best ones.

I have more fun with this one. HE in Cyrillic is how the Russian word for 'not' is spelled (similarly, HET spells "Nyet", or the Russian word for "No").

The serial number on my rifle therefore translates to "Not 4595", but it IS 4595. My rifle is both an enigma and a contradiction, in addition to being a 'clone' and a 'fake'.

Well, it keeps ME entertained, anyway.

I am easily entertained.:)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,356 Posts
The ATF require the official number to use Latin letters and be on the receiver. So the importer simply transliterated the letters from the barrel and stamped the complete serial on the receiver. There is no requirement to change or obliterate the numbers on the barrel shank as the ATF don't give a rats what is on there. You will come across Mosins where this has been done as I described OR the importer dreams up his own serial, usually starting 9130, or you will find others where neither the English equivalent nor a made up serial appear on the receiver. The last case indicates a rifle imported and sold on before the ATF got picky about the rules a few years back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts