Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first long Lee, an 1896 BSA Mk.I. Lovely rifle, I'm impressed with it. Came with a P'88 bayonet without scabbard. The bolt's a mismatch, and its missing the cleaning rod and front sling swivel, which I plan to replace. Any ideas on sources? I'm interested in the cartouche on the butt - it looks like its an LSA mark, which of course would suggest a mismatch, is that true? That looks like it might be the remains of M&D Canadian marks, am I completely off base on that? Basically anything anyone can tell me about it, I'd appreciate.

Thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Very nice! That does look like an LSA roundel on the butt, and definitely an M&D mark. I'd have to agree that the butt was replaced at some point.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cleaning rod, as they were ordered removed in 1898 (IIRC), so a missing cleaning rod would likely be perfectly correct.

How's the bore?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bore has some pitting towards the muzzle, but its bright and the rifling is sharp.

How many Lee-Enfields did Canada use, exactly? I know there were the issues with supplying them during the Boer War, which of course lead to the adoption of the Ross. I've heard we only used the ones we got for the Boer War, or as much as 40,000. Which is correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts