Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Model K98 from Mitchell’s and have questions about it. Emails to Mitchell’s do not seem to be answered. I like the rifle and think it will be ok to shoot as soon as I find ammo. They did a really nice job overhauling the rifle. They have a serial number of xxxG on the rifle not sure if that is accurate of a WWII rifle made in Germany. The front band is different from pictures I see of K98’s and no cleaning rod. I also question the butt plate. The rear sight looks like plastic to me. Would appreciate any help you can give me.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
I'd ask them for my cleaning rod, I can't believe they shorted you on that!:rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,188 Posts
Welcome MDtom. They owe you a nice rod. If you want to get started in K98k collecting, get Backbone revised, BiO's CD, a subscription to Military Rifle Journal, read the posts here and you'll be good to go. MM is not well regarded in collecting circles.
Cheers,
Hambone

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Looks like it might be a Kriegsmodell stock...front band screwed in, doesn't look like a band spring channel either....oh, and no takedown lug, hole in buttplate...too bad they pimpshined a kriegs stock!

Hence the ";)"...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I bet they return e-mails if you are buying, otherwise they go in the bin.:confused: Also that stock is from a later war rifle that is more unusual than what what you are used to.When you find those in original un-sanded condition you really get peoples attention as they are very desirable.

·
Banned
7,260 Posts
Who knows, if he bitches enough he might get a free repro cleaning rod out of the deal..
FWIW, I've got first hand experience with new buyers of MM's calling in and asking for a complete (including shipping costs) refund based on altered numbers and MM HAS BEEN buying back the rifles AND paying all shipping costs!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.