Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally took out my Mitchell Arms M-90...prior to going out I had aquired some USA mags...they did not lock up tight in rifle..out of spec..I think...so as and after thought...I did a temp...Mcguyver..bubba fix...I took some red duct tape and taped over rear mag catch on mag...reinserted in rifle and they locked up tight...for a more permanet fix...I converted one of the M-14 mags that I have had for years...at the range I test fired all the mags...including my Mycguyer mags and they all worked good...I used the converted M-14 mag and shot some rounds at a target at 100 meters using the iron sights...did ok with my old eyes...the previous owner attached an ATI drag...type stock...I have a set of black plastic hand guards that will match the butt stock..that were made by Century...or and this is what I am more likely to do..purchase after wood stock set and restore the rifle to way it was suppose to look..

Attached are pics of rifle and target plus pics of the Mguyver mags...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
M-90 Target

Not a bad group for old eyes...think what a scope would do.

·
Silver Bullet member
291 Posts
I have a sticky posted over at AK Forums explaining how to convert an M14 mag to fit in the Yugo M90 .308 . I've posted it here for all of your benefit.

Post subject: Converting M-14 mags to fit Yugo M90 .308

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I took pics of my mags and will explain what it took to fit them to my Yugo M90. I used the Taiwanese T57 mags that Dan's Ammo sells for 5 @$75 shipped. This is the best deal on these mags, and the mags are extremely high quality. They were made on the US machinery we sent to Taiwan when they started making M-14's for themselves. That machinery used to make our M-14's. At least this is the story as posted in the SG ads on these mags! The mag as it is will not go into the mag well on the M90. A notch needs to be cut in the front face of the mag to act as a mag catch. M-14's use a hole in the front of the mag to lock, the notch has to be through the lower half.

The mag has two layers of metal here. Grind or file just through the first layer. On the first mags I did, I used a rotary file in my die grinder to cut the groove, and I cut through both layers. I found you don't have to go that deep, and the notch area will be stronger. Next, I beveled the upper edge of the rear mag catch to allow smoother contact to the mag release. The lower one is the one I beveled. Sorry about the glare.

I then inserted the mag into the M90 with carrier removed and made sure it would go in. File the front as needed until it pops in. With the mag inserted, you can see the ejector makes contact with the mag lip. I trimmed the lip to clear the ejector. The mag on the left is the trimmed one.

I also trimmed the front and rear upper radiuses on the mag to clear the bottom of the bolt. With the mag back in, look at the alignment of the feed lips with the rails. They should line up, adjust as needed. The right feed lip will have to be trimmed along it's length slightly to allow the bolt to travel. This is where you fit the mag to your gun. I re-inserted the bolt and carrier and cycled and adjusted until all was smooth. I then loaded the mags, removed the FCG, inserted the mag and ran the rounds through the rifle as fast as I could cycle the bolt . This step was done in a safe place. The next outing I ran the mags and all worked without a hitch. After mods, these mags should still work in a M-14/M1-A, but I don't have one to try it in. Here's a 5 rd. mag I made out of a Western pure junk mag. I shortened the body and spring and used a steel follower instead of the cheap plastic one that came with it. It works, but is soft and thin. I picked up 10 of these mags and am going to make a couple more for hunting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts