1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
I took this photo of an S-75 SAM outside Krasnoyarsk University recently on my wife and my trip back to Russia. The plaque is rather interesting if you can read Russian - basically it tells that these missiles shot down 1090 US military aircraft and 11 Helicopters during Vietnam. I'll post aircraft pics soon :)
This is the SA-2 [NATO reporting name GUIDELINE] SAM. As ever, the Russians are being optimistic about the shoot-down rate of their missiles. The official figure is unclear, but fighter losses atributable to the SA-2 are said to be between 68 to 105 American fighters and 15 B-52 bombers.

Low-level avoidance of the SA-2 certainly added a great many to that figure, losses directly attributable to low-level AAA and SA-7 SLSAM, so I suppose that in that way, it could be said to have 'shot them down'.

tac

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beer, never did see a Hind, but a few Hips, and one Mi-1 Hare. Did manage almost an hour inside an Antonov AN2, but even my license and ASIC would not let Russian authorities lket me inside anything like an AN24 or Il-62 - that needed clearance, and that would have taken over a week.

Getting off our flight from Kemerovo (Siberia) to Moscow-Domodedovo, I was mere inches from a Tu-154 and a Tu-134, and not far from several Il-76, 78, 86 and 96's. Il-62's seem in the fewer these days, but a few Il-18's were visible.

Sadly, the Tu-114 that used to be on display at Domodedovo has been destroyed, though I am thankful I still have a photo of it from 2 winter's ago visit to Moscow.

Photos of a lot soon, but here is my POOR photo of the Tu114 from 2 winters ago...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Diamond Member
1,573 Posts
DrBeer, if you do a search for the Hind, in particular, Google, "Hind helicopter for sale" you might still catch a couple for sale on the civilian market. There was one in Florida, one in Alabama and a couple in South America and loads in Europe.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,195 Posts
I'd forgotten how nice the TU-114 looked. Almost as pretty as a Connie.

·
Diamond Member
1,573 Posts
Vulch, Interesting looking turboprop is it a derivative of the Bear? What is a ASIC?

Victor

·
Banned
10,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, the TU-95 and TU-114 are VASTLY different aircraft. For a start, the -114 is a low mounted wing, whereas the 95 is a mid-mounted wing. The wing is also considerably different, and not many similarities exist at all betwen them. Originally slated as a civilianised TU-95, the end product was far from the bomber version.

There was a airliner "conversion" of the TU-95 - the TU-116, which was a stop-gap should the TU-114 production not proceed.

The TU-114 was a remarkable aeroplane.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
94,195 Posts
I agree - it is remarkable in a number of ways. And, as I already said, as pretty a prop-liner as exists, except maybe for a Super Connie (especially the late L-1649 Starstreams - which would have been even better with turbo-prop power).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I must admit you are absolutely right about the wings, it is funny I saw both the Tu-95 and Tu-114 a few times from a close distance, but it never occurred to me they had different wings..

Asked my airforce mates, they said the Tu-114 wing was based on the Tu-96 experimental design

Actually, the Tu-116 (aka Tu-114D) was not a stop gap model. It was the Tu-95 bomber retrofitted into the VIP 'Airforce 1'. Only 2 planes were known. Also, there was the Tu-119 experimental model with a nuclear reactor...

Tu-95 dropping 50MT H-bomb in the Novaya Zemlya test 1961

50MT blast from 100km+ distance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts