Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local Flea market today, and the usual Milsurp guy was there with his stash of everything. Most priced what it is worth. He had a model 98 Krag with original sling for 750. After about an hour of walking around, shopping etc, I cam back and decided to buy it.... then he wouldn't take my check.... I guess he has never heard of USAA bank.... Oh well. I am sure that it doesent help that I look like I am every bit of 18, but I am 31!

Oh well... There are more fish in the ocean.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Boys! How long have you been buying firearms? Cash talks!
Nobody in their right mind takes checks from buyers they do not know, at least at a gunshow or a garage sale or flea market or whatever. Pay with a check? nudge, nudge, wink wink! C'mon, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell, too! Sheesh!
Besides, waving a stack of 50s in front of a seller will sometimes help with negotiations.

FWIW, I just picked up a minty nice 1896 Krag infantry rifle from a local seller a few months back, got him down $200 below his asking price, at least partially because I was showing a stack of 100's...pulled em out, made an offer, put em away, let him see I had cash on the spot, made a counter to his next offer; it worked out, because cash is...cash.

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
I went to a local Flea market today, and the usual Milsurp guy was there with his stash of everything. Most priced what it is worth. He had a model 98 Krag with original sling for 750. After about an hour of walking around, shopping etc, I cam back and decided to buy it.... then he wouldn't take my check.... I guess he has never heard of USAA bank.... Oh well. I am sure that it doesent help that I look like I am every bit of 18, but I am 31!

Oh well... There are more fish in the ocean.
Tbird,

Go to your bank's ATM tonight and get half and get the rest tomorrow if you really want the rifle.

LB

·
Gold Bullet member
4,821 Posts
I always bring cash when I go to a show. I bring only as much cash as I am willing to spend on that particular day. Not only does it allow me to negotiate pricing but it keeps me within my budget. It also keeps my spending off of the wife's radar if there is no paper trail of canceled checks or Master Card bills in the mail...

·
Silver Bullet member
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL... yeah, money talks BS walks. I dont blame the guy for not taking the check, specially since the are no local branches..... I am not to terribly upset. ( I'm definitely not changing banks though) USAA Rocks. I think the Krag was about the ONLY thing that was almost reasonably priced that the guy had. I am sure I will find a better on some day.
The good thing is that keeps my budget freed up for a KP31 and or a Brunswick RIfle... or a 1911..... or a :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
tbird I learned not to even think about writing checks at places like flea markets, gun shows, garage sales, etc. the same way you have...from bitter experience. Only mine were the times when I missed out on a $400 1911 pistol from WWI at an antique auction...and a Norinco .223 AK for $250 at a flea market.

You lives, you learns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.